MensTennisForums.com - View Single Post - Europe/Africa Group I 1st round: Slovak Republic at Great Britain (Feb. 10-12, 2012)

View Single Post

Old 02-12-2012, 06:33 PM   #14
country flag Horatio Caine
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Horatio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Europe/Africa Zone Group I 1R: Slovak Republic @ Great Britain (February 10-12, 2

Lacko defeated Ward 7/6(9) 6/1 6/3

Evans defeated Klizan 6/1 6/1 4/6 3/6 6/3

Superb again from Evans! His level dropped a little in the third and fourth sets but, in fairness, Klizan raised his game a bit and was a little too strong. Surprisingly, that didn't continue into the fifth set - Evans remained composed, and generated a nice break in the third game. He saved a break point in the sixth game, but otherwise held onto his service games in style, and pressured Klizan into a nervy last point double-fault for a very well-deserved win.

A huge weekend for Evans (and also for British tennis), and hopefully he will build on this immediately. His game, mentality, and conditioning is heaps better than it was a couple of years ago, and I have no doubt that he has the ability to be a top 150 player. The rest is up to him.

Regardless, it won't be the last anyone hears of him this year. Unless something happens over the next 8 weeks, he has all but earned singles matches against Belgium imo. On paper, Ward will be higher-ranked than him for a few more months, but Evans has a much broader range of skills that can be of greater threat at this level. Wildcards should also be extended to him for Queen's, Eastbourne and Wimbledon. With performances like that, he is capable of beating some of the weaker main draw players.
Horatio Caine is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote