MensTennisForums.com - View Single Post - Europe/Africa Group I 1st round: Slovak Republic at Great Britain (Feb. 10-12, 2012)

View Single Post

Old 02-11-2012, 07:28 PM   #12
country flag Horatio Caine
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Horatio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Europe/Africa Zone Group I 1R: Slovak Republic @ Great Britain (February 10-12, 2

So, GBR leads 2-1 going into Sunday. The best position we could have hoped for tbh, and the guys should be very proud of their attitude and effort so far. These are the sort of performances that Davis Cup is all about, and it is nice that we have a fighting chance to actually win a tie of this reasonable quality, without Murray. Only two years ago, we were falling apart against Lithuania...

4th rubber: Ward vs. Lacko
5th rubber: Evans vs. Klizan

Can't see past a live 5th rubber tbh.

Lacko didn't look great on Friday, but he'd have to play a stinker to lose to Ward imo. James should be competitive (but lose in straights), but his game is fairly one-dimensional and I don't think that will be enough to beat Lacko unless he produces an Isner-like serving performance...and that isn't going to happen.

So, on to Evans to decide our fate. He played live 5th rubbers against Poland and Lithuania, and lost both. However, as we witnessed on Friday, he is playing with a commendable, new mentality. Personally, I'm not expecting him to beat Klizan...he needs to replicate that performance from Friday, and it will be tough to do that. Klizan is also likely to provide a lot more resistance (than Lacko did). Hopefully Dan continues to see this as a learning curve, and enjoys the experience. Maybe he'll pull off another surprise, but even if he doesn't it should be remembered that it was his performance on Friday that has earned the team an opportunity to win tomorrow.

I predicted 3-2 to Team GB a couple of days ago, and I could still see us doing it. However, having seen a bit more of Klizan on Friday, I'd actually expect a 3-2 win for Slovakia. Klizan said to Castle that he doesn't get nervous playing these matches anymore, so it will be interesting to see whether any of that was bravado...
Horatio Caine is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote