MensTennisForums.com - View Single Post - USTA: Bogomolov Must Repay Us, Exploring Options

View Single Post

Old 01-11-2012, 08:20 PM   #62
country flag guichard

guichard has a reputation beyond reputeguichard has a reputation beyond reputeguichard has a reputation beyond reputeguichard has a reputation beyond reputeguichard has a reputation beyond reputeguichard has a reputation beyond reputeguichard has a reputation beyond reputeguichard has a reputation beyond reputeguichard has a reputation beyond reputeguichard has a reputation beyond reputeguichard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: USTA: Bogomolov Must Repay Us, Exploring Options

Bogomolov not happy to repay USTA

Alex Bogomolov Jr.'s career year in 2011 ended on somewhat of a sour note when he was told to repay $75,000 to the United States Tennis Association for changing his nationality from American to Russian.

Bogomolov, ranked 34th in the world, made the change so he could play Davis Cup, which he would not have been afforded an opportunity to do with the U.S. team.

He signed a contract with the USTA in 2009 when he needed a place to stay in Florida in order to practice, and said he was provided about $800 from the governing body to do so.

"It was a lot of money for us to stay afloat" at the time, Bogomolov, who ended 2009 ranked outside the top 300, said in a phone interview.

Bogomolov handed a check to the USTA at the end of December -- and didn't like doing it.

"(Fellow players) thought it was right for me to give back any money," Bogomolov said. "Everyone was behind me. Everyone is cool with me. We just felt it was better to end it. To tell you the truth, it was a big load off my shoulders after we (sent) the check."

The saga put a damper on what should have been a smooth, uplifting offseason for the player. After going through a painful, public divorce, serving a suspension for taking a banned substance and overcoming a career threatening wrist injury, the 28-year-old Bogomolov had a defining 2011 season, rising more than 130 spots in the rankings, enough to win the ATP Tour's Most Improved Player award.
more here http://espn.go.com/tennis/story/_/id...ed-nationality
guichard is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote