MensTennisForums.com - View Single Post - The Fedal era seems to be completely over or will be by the end of this year

View Single Post

Old 01-07-2012, 06:47 PM   #5
country flag Poirot123

Poirot123 has a reputation beyond reputePoirot123 has a reputation beyond reputePoirot123 has a reputation beyond reputePoirot123 has a reputation beyond reputePoirot123 has a reputation beyond reputePoirot123 has a reputation beyond reputePoirot123 has a reputation beyond reputePoirot123 has a reputation beyond reputePoirot123 has a reputation beyond reputePoirot123 has a reputation beyond reputePoirot123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Fedal era seems to be completely over or will be by the end of this year

Well I don't think you can base that on just one ATP250 event, when one player is on a 20 match unbeaten streak (note not winning streak) and the other made 3 slam finals last year, winning one.

However, Federer has looked vulnerable against guys in the top 10 now for 18 months, and that is probably extended to the top 16 now as he's been troubled by Simon and Monfils recently. However, still on his day, when he's 100% focussed and committed, he is as good as the world number 1 Djokovic. His injured back, at a cruicial time just before the AO doesn't bode well for his chances though as he'll need to be 100% to beat any guy in the top 10.

Nadal has looked to be in decline after the way Djokovic dismantled him last year and I think other players are learning how to beat him. Nadal continually cites injuries (bad knee and shoulder) which prevent him training effectively and the need for him to alter his game (Nadal said he wants to step into the court more and take the ball earlier and flatter) may mean he struggles against the top guys until the clay season starts.

I think with their problems (injuries for Fed, injuries and form (and confidence?) for Nadal) consign them down the list of favourites for the AO. Djokovic is the stand out favourite and looks all but unstoppable in my opinion, and I'm 75% confident Djokovic will win his 5 GS title in a few weeks time. It's come to the point where I consider Tsonga the second favourite, with Muzzer third, and then Fedal. Berdych, Del Potro, Monfils, and Ferrer are wildcards who could cause ONE upset, but cannot win the tournament unless it completely opens up for them.
Poirot123 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote