MensTennisForums.com - View Single Post - South American states ban Falklands vessels from ports

View Single Post

Old 01-02-2012, 05:57 PM   #22
country flag scoobs
Anastasia Komananov, KGB

scoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: South American states ban Falklands vessels from ports

It's just unfortunate to me that the war in 1982 has set back indefinitely the prospects of a sane resolution to this situation.

It costs the UK taxpayer a disproportionate amount of defence budget and skews our defence posture to protect a tiny group of islanders 6,000 miles away who evidently will use their "let me stay British" veto to maintain this status quo irrespective of larger issues - like how much better the UK's relationship with Argentina and South America might be if this "colonial issue" were resolved - it could be very beneficial for trade links, for example.

The 1982 invasion by the Argentinian Junta was grade A stupid, and it's a shame that, and British intransigence as a result, has frozen the situation in place. It is surely time for the UK Government to return to the position it was following in the 1970s under both Labour and Conservative governments, that of negotiating the sovereignty of the Falklands with Argentina, perhaps under some sort of leaseback scheme, similar to that which the UK had with China for Hong Kong.

Bearing in mind at the time of the Falklands, it would have been cheaper to give every islander (less than 3000) £1 million to relocate than it ultimately cost to re-take the islands on their behalf.

It's economic madness being overridden by pointless, jingoistic, nationalistic nonsense that we can no longer afford. Time to get back to the negotiating table.
scoobs is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote