MensTennisForums.com - View Single Post - Johnny Groove's Top 69 Players Ever (Djokovic #21 of all time)

View Single Post

Old 01-02-2012, 05:22 PM   #374
country flag Ash86

Ash86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Professor Johnny Groove's Top 55 tennis players of all time (Djokovic up to #31)

Good analysis - as you say it's close. For me Rafa edges it because of his Clay GOAT credentials; rivalry with Federer & Djokovic (the sheer number of matches these 3 have played at the highest level & the number of classics between them is quite something) & also the fact that he faced his biggest rivals in conquering the most challenging titles for him - Wimbledon by beating Federer - the best grass-courter of Nadal's generation; US Open & Olympics by beating Djokovic - his worst match-up on HCs. I don't think the weeks at no.1 is too bad for Rafa because his weeks at no.2 help compensate for it - without Federer his achievements whilst no.2 would have been enough to give him the no.1 ranking - it's by virtue of the greatness of the one player better than him that he couldn't get anywhere near Lendl like numbers...

The Masters is an achilles heal though - 1 final in so many appearances is not good enough. He's very beatable indoors & although seems to avoid it I do think he needs to address that towards the end of his career - it's an important tournament and would be good to try and win it.

If he gets 11 slams & particularly the 7th RG then the fight is between him & Borg. This year is quite important in terms of his overall legacy in that regard....
Ash86 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote