MensTennisForums.com - View Single Post - Djokovic and defending titles...

View Single Post

Old 12-26-2011, 12:06 PM   #39
country flag Ash86

Ash86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Djokovic and defending titles...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saberq View Post
Novak actually played against real ATP players in his US Open
On paper I don't anyone would have said Tipsarevic or Dolgopolov are tougher draws than Verdasco of 2010 (rather than horrific 2011 form!) - Verdasco is a Masters finalist and a GS semi-finalist. More impressive than either of the other two.

That said I think it's clear Nadal's draw opened up for him very well in 2010 with Murray losing and I'm not going to suggest that for him Lopez, Verdasco and Youzhny weren't preferable to alternatives... Still, he looked dominant throughout - he wasn't broken in the first 4 matches, lost one set - whatever the opponent that was more impressive than Novak's 2011 US Open run IMO. Even looking at the final - as great as it was both players go broken so many times it was kind of laughable. That serving performance alone invalidates it from counting as a "dominant" slam win.
Ash86 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote