MensTennisForums.com - View Single Post - TT changes 2012

Thread: TT changes 2012
View Single Post

Old 12-13-2011, 05:54 PM   #45
country flag ibreak4coffee

ibreak4coffee has a reputation beyond reputeibreak4coffee has a reputation beyond reputeibreak4coffee has a reputation beyond reputeibreak4coffee has a reputation beyond reputeibreak4coffee has a reputation beyond reputeibreak4coffee has a reputation beyond reputeibreak4coffee has a reputation beyond reputeibreak4coffee has a reputation beyond reputeibreak4coffee has a reputation beyond reputeibreak4coffee has a reputation beyond reputeibreak4coffee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: TT changes 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdeyC View Post
I don't like that idea - it will lead to accusations of unfair choices with managers accused of giving their friends a place in the draw.

I don't agree with wildcards fullstop, my ranking is 140 and I have no right whatsoever to a wildcard to an ATP event until I earn it with a higher ranking or by qualifying by right.
I guess my response would be - so what? Of course managers will pick their friends or someone from the country where the tournament is being held. But its only one spot. In a game. Its not a life or death decision. It may even reintroduce an element of fun to TT that old timers seem to think is lacking now compared to years ago, where you have more interaction in the threads and fun banter. The wildcard period could be open for a week and produce some amusing conversations, posters making arguments for their candidacy for the wildcard etc... People loved the interviews Marto did at the US Open, and the few managers that still do awards see it is usually well received as a fun aside in TT. I think a wildcard could introduce more of that "fun" aspect to the game. I would certainly base my personal decision as a manager not on friendship, but recent form, nationality, witty arguments etc...

And frankly I have to admit I dont understand at all this constant desire to ensure 100% fairness in TT when the changes thread comes up every December. Anytime an idea is brought up about wildcards, spots, incentives etc... its the argument that usually completly ends the conversation. At the end of the day, however, at its core TT will remain inherently an unfair game. We can refine the game all we want to lessen the impact of chance, luck, or unfairness, but results will weigh heavily toward luck and where you are in draw on what day. And that's not even the PTS system. What can be more unfair than the PTS system?

I'm proposing a minor change with in my mind very little risk. I know it won't go anywhere, but perhaps we should be thinking of more ways to keep this a game - even if they are perceived as unfair - rather than more ways to continue to "professionalize" TT into a rules-based system that is leading to more and more people saying TT is no longer any fun. Just my two cents.
ibreak4coffee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote