MensTennisForums.com - View Single Post - The Religious Debate Thread : "Misogynistic" passages in the Bible etc

View Single Post

Old 11-21-2011, 12:45 PM   #68
country flag Aloimeh

Aloimeh has a reputation beyond reputeAloimeh has a reputation beyond reputeAloimeh has a reputation beyond reputeAloimeh has a reputation beyond reputeAloimeh has a reputation beyond reputeAloimeh has a reputation beyond reputeAloimeh has a reputation beyond reputeAloimeh has a reputation beyond reputeAloimeh has a reputation beyond reputeAloimeh has a reputation beyond reputeAloimeh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "Misogynistic" passages in the Bible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjau! View Post
I asked for a quote challenging my assertion that the hatered of Deuteronomy is incompatible with the teachings of Jesus. You did not deliver.

It must be nice to be able brush off such gross inconsistencies with the cop out "it was right at the time". Could you elaborate on when and why God changed His mind from "love strangers" to "enslave strangers"?

No message of universal love? What do you call this then?

"You shall love your neighbor as yourself. Love does no harm to a neighbor; therefore love is the fulfillment of the law."

"But I tell you who hear me: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you"

"A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"

"Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse"

"Anyone who claims to be in the light but hates his brother is still in the darkness. Whoever loves his brother lives in the light, and there is nothing in him to make him stumble"

and so on...
1.) It's not a gross inconsistency. In Deuteronomy God is addressing Israel in ~1500 B.C. In the Gospels, God is addressing Israel and wider the wider Gentile world in the 1st century. For you to pretend that things had not changed in 1500 years is disingenuous.

In ~1500 B.C. Canaan was inhabited by a vicious, pagan, idolatrous, fornicating, child sacrificing group worthy of God's judgment. They got. it. Additionally, Israel was a nascent nation with a new religion and allowing that faith to become adulterated with paganism was very dangerous. That's why the commands regarding dealing with the Canaanites were so comprehensive.

I don't know what passages you find offensive - there are some that I find hard to bear - but I accept them. It's called believing in God and His word. You don't get to pick and choose what you like believing and what you dislike believing. That's not what faith's all about.

2.) Regarding universal love, I'd say that's not entirely off for how we humans are to behave amongst each other. The reason I took you up on it is because so often people love to scream "God loves everyone" even while persisting in gross sin. God gave us all Christ and has given us the opportunity to believe in Him, which is an act of great love. God has not accepted us in our sinful unbelieving state and anyone who preaches that God's loving everyone means everyone goes to heaven is a filthy liar. Clearly God doesn't love those in hell.

You can bet Djokovic's mom just screamed "Another king is dead" right about now - in the remotest corner - of her bathroom - followed by "The other one is buried." (from tennisplanet.me, following Madrid 2011 Djokovic d. Nadal 7-5 6-4)
Aloimeh is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote