MensTennisForums.com - View Single Post - The Religious Debate Thread : "Misogynistic" passages in the Bible etc

View Single Post

Old 11-21-2011, 08:17 AM   #61
country flag tripwires

tripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "Misogynistic" passages in the Bible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orka_n View Post
I have never encountered a christian like Aloimeh IRL, and I've met quite a few christians.

Anyway, what I find frustrating, even tragic, is that these rough discussions never even have any progress. The thing with christianity is that, while you can like or dislike it as a religion, you cannot truly understand it until you have experienced it yourself. This is the reason for all misunderstandings and all the prejudice about christians being "brain washed".

Now, I'm not saying brain wash is not possible. I have talked to Jehovah's Witnesses who have looked at me with such blanc and empty eyes it was scary. It was like their mind was buried somewhere, I couldn't "see" the person I was talking to even if I had eye contact.
However the Bible actually encourages the reader to check if the things it says actually works. (With an open mind, that is. If someone is not really searching for God then probably nothing will happen. God will not violate the free will.)
I think this applies to all religions. Christianity - and in recent times, Islam - tends to get a bad rep because of people like Aloimeh and evangelists who insist on propagating their religion even when people aren't interested, and sometimes resorting to rather despicable ways to do so (example: denigrating another religion. This always annoys me. And telling people that they will go to hell if they don't convert. How is this supposed to make me want to be a Christian?).

I don't think all Christians are brainwashed. I do, however, think that there will always be certain people that subscribe to a particular faith, whatever it is, that are brainwashed by their religion. Look at those Islamic fundamentalists. Look at the morons who called for Salman Rushdie's death for publishing a novel. Those people are brainwashed. Aloimeh appears brainwashed to me. It's just pointless discussing such issues with people who are so narrow-minded that they can't even see the extent to which their minds have been closed by their beliefs.

I did at one point keep an open mind regarding religion, and being in a Catholic school meant that I was exposed to the Christian faith on a daily basis. After a while, though, I decided that none of it made sense to me and therefore chose atheism.
"But certain interests of particular people are so important that it would be wrong - morally wrong - for the community to sacrifice those interests just to secure an overall benefit. Political rights mark off and protect these particularly important interests. A political right, we may say, is a trump over the kind of trade-off argument that normally justifies political action." - Ronald Dworkin (RIP)
tripwires is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote