MensTennisForums.com - View Single Post - The Religious Debate Thread : "Misogynistic" passages in the Bible etc

View Single Post

Old 11-21-2011, 03:00 AM   #39
country flag Aloimeh

Aloimeh has a reputation beyond reputeAloimeh has a reputation beyond reputeAloimeh has a reputation beyond reputeAloimeh has a reputation beyond reputeAloimeh has a reputation beyond reputeAloimeh has a reputation beyond reputeAloimeh has a reputation beyond reputeAloimeh has a reputation beyond reputeAloimeh has a reputation beyond reputeAloimeh has a reputation beyond reputeAloimeh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "Misogynistic" passages in the Bible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjau! View Post
Now find me a quote where he endorses all the hatred and destruction of Deuteronomy.

What don't you understand? When I say the teachings of Jesus are not compatible with the hatred in Deuteronomy, I obviously don't mean "love thy neighbor", but filth like the quotes below and the ones Clydey posted.

"thou shalt utterly destroy them; thou shalt make no covenant with them, nor show mercy unto them"

"Of the cities of these people, which the Lord thy God doth give thee for an inheritance, thou shall save alive nothing that breatheth"

It is obviously the work of different people with very different philosophies. Deuteronomy and Leviticus go on to limit the meaning of neighbor, from universal to tribalist. Look how the attitude towards "strangers" evolves in Leviticus.

From: "the stranger that dwelleth with you shall be unto you as one born among you, and thou shalt love him as thyself"

To: "Your male and female slaves are to come from the nations around you; from them you may buy slaves."

"Moreover of the children of the strangers that do sojourn among you, of them shall ye buy, and of their families that are with you, which they have begotten in your land: and they shall be your possession."

"You can will them to your children as inherited property and can make them slaves for life, but you must not rule over your fellow Israelites ruthlessly."

Perfectly consistent

A religion of universal love was distorted.
You asked for a quote, and I gave it to you. Jesus' two great commandments come straight from Deuteronomy and Leviticus and unfortunately it seems you didn't know that. Now you do.

As for my views on much of the content of Deuteronomy and Leviticus: it was right at the particular place, time, and for that particular people (God's chosen, Israel) but we shouldn't draw conclusions from it as to our behavior. Some of those laws are clearly ceremonial and have no hold on us. Others still hold, obviously. I don't think the Old Testament is "hateful," I just think it illustrates very well that God is a righteous, holy, God who is outraged at sin and will not tolerate it.

And don't lie about God's word. There is no message of "universal love." There is a message of universal forgiveness for those who repent, believe in the Lord Jesus Christ, and follow the will of the Lord Jesus Christ and His Father. The vast majority of those screaming "God is love" don't want to obey His clear commandments because they love their sin too much and want to continue sinning.

You can bet Djokovic's mom just screamed "Another king is dead" right about now - in the remotest corner - of her bathroom - followed by "The other one is buried." (from tennisplanet.me, following Madrid 2011 Djokovic d. Nadal 7-5 6-4)
Aloimeh is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote