MensTennisForums.com - View Single Post - The Religious Debate Thread : "Misogynistic" passages in the Bible etc

View Single Post

Old 11-21-2011, 02:23 AM   #32
country flag Mjau!

Mjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "Misogynistic" passages in the Bible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloimeh View Post
Dude, Jesus is quoting Deuteronomy and Leviticus there:

These two verses, particularly 6:4, are some of the most foundational verses in all of the Old Testament. They form part of the Shema Yisrael, the greatest prayer in all of Judaism. Deuteronomy 6:4 is posted on the facade of the synagogue near where I live.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shema_Yisrael
That's the only place in the Old Testament where it talks about loving your neighbor, in Leviticus!
Now find me a quote where he endorses all the hatred and destruction of Deuteronomy.

What don't you understand? When I say the teachings of Jesus are not compatible with the hatred in Deuteronomy, I obviously don't mean "love thy neighbor", but filth like the quotes below and the ones Clydey posted.

"thou shalt utterly destroy them; thou shalt make no covenant with them, nor show mercy unto them"

"Of the cities of these people, which the Lord thy God doth give thee for an inheritance, thou shall save alive nothing that breatheth"

It is obviously the work of different people with very different philosophies. Deuteronomy and Leviticus go on to limit the meaning of neighbor, from universal to tribalist. Look how the attitude towards "strangers" evolves in Leviticus.

From: "the stranger that dwelleth with you shall be unto you as one born among you, and thou shalt love him as thyself"

To: "Your male and female slaves are to come from the nations around you; from them you may buy slaves."

"Moreover of the children of the strangers that do sojourn among you, of them shall ye buy, and of their families that are with you, which they have begotten in your land: and they shall be your possession."

"You can will them to your children as inherited property and can make them slaves for life, but you must not rule over your fellow Israelites ruthlessly."

Perfectly consistent

A religion of universal love was distorted.

Last edited by Mjau! : 11-21-2011 at 02:30 AM.
Mjau! is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote