MensTennisForums.com - View Single Post - There is no finish line...

View Single Post

Old 11-17-2011, 10:48 AM   #122
country flag ApproachShot

ApproachShot has a reputation beyond reputeApproachShot has a reputation beyond reputeApproachShot has a reputation beyond reputeApproachShot has a reputation beyond reputeApproachShot has a reputation beyond reputeApproachShot has a reputation beyond reputeApproachShot has a reputation beyond reputeApproachShot has a reputation beyond reputeApproachShot has a reputation beyond reputeApproachShot has a reputation beyond reputeApproachShot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: There is no finish line...

At long last, I have updated the first post in the thread so all stats are accurate to the week prior to the World Tour Finals, 2011.

The vast majority of categories have had changes made to them, so please do take a good look at the first post again for updates and let me know if you spot any errors. A number of record milestones were taken out of the list on the first post because either they have been surpassed and Federer attains the record, or he has fallen short and realistically will not be able to achieve them in his career.

Categories taken off because Roger has surpassed the record:
  • Most hardcourt titles won (he now has 47 – the previous record was 46)
  • Most matches won at the Australian Open (he now has 59 – the previous record was 56)
  • Most consecutive quarter final appearances Grand Slams (the streak still continues with 30 – the previous record was 27)
  • Most fourth round appearances Grand Slams (the streak still continues with 30 – the previous record was 28)

Categories taken off because they are no longer achievable:
  • Most consecutive Grand Slams entered, defending at least one (by failing to win the Australian Open in 2011, Federer finishes just one shy of Sampras’ record of 33)
  • Most consecutive Australian Open finals (losing to Djokovic in the semi-finals left him one short of Lendl and Wilander’s record of 3)

Also in spending some time to update this topic, I have come across some new potential records that Federer might be able to achieve. I will include them here when I get more time and have verified some of the historical stats.

I hope you will enjoy the update and reflect on some of the stats once more. It’s remarkable what he has achieved and falling short of a few records should not be seen as a disappointment (it’s not possible to achieve every record in tennis history), but the ones that are still on the list may be something to add to an already illustrious career. Over the next season(s) I look forward to counting down to them and it will be interesting to see if there are any new records that can be made. After all, there is no finish line…