MensTennisForums.com - View Single Post - Pat Cash: Djokovic is better than Federer at his best

View Single Post

Old 10-31-2011, 05:51 PM   #6
country flag teacherling

teacherling has a reputation beyond reputeteacherling has a reputation beyond reputeteacherling has a reputation beyond reputeteacherling has a reputation beyond reputeteacherling has a reputation beyond reputeteacherling has a reputation beyond reputeteacherling has a reputation beyond reputeteacherling has a reputation beyond reputeteacherling has a reputation beyond reputeteacherling has a reputation beyond reputeteacherling has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pat Cash: Djokovic is better than Federer at his best

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryMan View Post
Metro recently pubished an excert from Cash about his thoughts on Djokovic and his season. Here’s the complete article. According to Cash, the Serbian is already better than Federer at his best. Now this is where I beg to differ.

There is no doubt in my mind that Djokovic has had a sensational year, and deserves every credit he has got so far, however, it is still not even one year of domination that we are talking about. Let’s look at the figures at the end of the year. Now assuming Djokovic goes on to win the remaining tournaments this year, that still wouldn’t give us a definite answer. All we can derive from it would be that Djokovic’s 2011 is greater than Federer’s 2004 and 2006. But is that enough to consider someone the best ever? Certainly not. Federer had an unbelieveable 2004, a great 05, an outstanding 06 and an excellent 07. That is four dominant years compared to Djokovic’s one.

I think we are too early to judge and should rather spend this time enjoying the emergence of Djokovic as a world beater rather than comparing him to argubly the greatest player in tennis. Taking nothing away from Djokovic, Federer, this year, is still his worst match up, so I would definitely give Federer the edge, had the two played against each other in their absolute prime. That is a separate debate however worth taking into consideration as well.

What do you think about this? Do you think Djokovic is already better than Federer? Do share your views, here.
While I agree with your analysis in general, I still believe that Cash was right in saying that Federer had a considerably weaker field during his prime years. However, your point about the duration of Federer's reign as compared to Novak's splendid one year run cannot be disputed. Thanks for a balanced post.
teacherling is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote