MensTennisForums.com - View Single Post - The Relative Importance of Hold and Return Games

View Single Post

Old 10-27-2011, 02:28 AM   #45
country flag Haelfix

Haelfix has a reputation beyond reputeHaelfix has a reputation beyond reputeHaelfix has a reputation beyond reputeHaelfix has a reputation beyond reputeHaelfix has a reputation beyond reputeHaelfix has a reputation beyond reputeHaelfix has a reputation beyond reputeHaelfix has a reputation beyond reputeHaelfix has a reputation beyond reputeHaelfix has a reputation beyond reputeHaelfix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Relative Importance of Hold and Return Games

Its hard to pick between Murray and Djokovic returning wise. Its very close!

I think Djokovic returns first serves a bit better (like a percentage point) and Murray might deal with 2nd serves a bit better (like a percentage point). Novak's baseline is probably a bit better this year too, so the stats will be jilted. Anyway, I think Murray deals with spinny serves better than anyone i've ever seen, whereas Djokovic's general ability to peg even very hard serves deep at the servers feet is also revolutionary.

I have seen better return of first serves before (Hewitt, Fed in his prime, a few others) and I have seen better more aggressive 2nd serve returns (Nalbandian, Agassi etc) but yea overall its hard to argue that Murray and Djokovic are a cut above right now overall.
Haelfix is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote