MensTennisForums.com - View Single Post - ATP-ITF Calendar/Schedule Suggestions, Shorter Season

View Single Post

Old 08-23-2011, 06:29 AM   #762
country flag Caesar1844

Caesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do you think the French Open, Wimbledon & US Open are too close together?

I wouldn't mess with it too much. Maybe bring the French Open forward a little bit, perhaps push the USO back a couple of weeks.

It's not really a problem with the majors. The Tour is just too crowded. You have 4 Grand Slams, 9 Masters Series and 1 World Tour Finals, plus minimum 1 lower-level warmup tournament for each Slam - that's minimum 22 weeks a year of elite competition for the top ten that is essentially mandatory, most of which is crammed into the northern hemisphere summer. That's even before you consider Davis Cup and the rest of the Tour. I mean seriously - no wonder nobody plays doubles any more and every second player's body falls apart after 25.

Unfortunately the European claycourt season and the North American hardcourt season are where all the money is, so the ATP will keep cramming too many tournaments into the most opportune time of year for those circuits. If Wimbledon wasn't so historic it would have been eliminated or moved long ago to make more time for dirtball and American big-money invitationals.
Caesar1844 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote