MensTennisForums.com - View Single Post - Classical and Opera lovers

View Single Post

Old 08-05-2011, 03:28 AM   #212
country flag Getta

Getta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Classical and Opera lovers

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbadosan View Post
I searched and saw one lone reference to one of my all-time favourites, so with your permission may I post Verdi's Va pensiero. Even though marvellous versions have been done by Pavarotti and Bocelli, for me the haunting pathos of the Slaves Chorus will always belong to the great choirs of the world.

This performance is by the NY Metropolitan Opera

a few days ago, i posted in Nathii's energy responsive thread something i think might be of interest to you.

http://www.menstennisforums.com/show...9#post11233479

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getta View Post

last night i immensely enjoyed the performance of your fellow countrymen, Anda Louise Bogza and Alexandru Agache in Verdi's 'Nabucco' in Herod of Atticus Theatre below the Acropolis.

my heart, arteries and lungs were affected in many ways when i was listening to 'va, pensiero' the chorus in the third act...

lyrics translated in English:

Fly, thought, on wings of gold;
go settle upon the slopes and the hills,
where, soft and mild, the sweet airs
of our native land smell fragrant!

Greet the banks of the Jordan
and Zion's toppled towers...
Oh, my country so beautiful and lost!
Oh, remembrance so dear and so fatal!

Golden harp of the prophetic seers,
why dost thou hang mute upon the willow?
Rekindle our bosom's memories,
and speak to us of times gone by!

Mindful of the fate of Jerusalem,
give forth a sound of crude lamentation,
or may the Lord inspire you a harmony of voices
which may instill virtue to suffering.

it's also known in English as 'Chorus of the Hebrew Slaves'. what a flowing, powerful, revolutionary hymn and ...

has also become the unofficial hymn of Italian national liberation and reunification, even of international freedom movement... a couple of months ago ("Celebrazione dei 150 anni dall'Unità d'Italia", Replica del Nabucco al Teatro dell'Opera di Roma il 15-3-2011), Riccardo Muti invited the audience to sing, raised his hands and began... but he was not conducting the chorus or the orchestra.... he was conducting the audience...

Getta is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote