MensTennisForums.com - View Single Post - J.P. Smith

Thread: J.P. Smith
View Single Post

Old 06-23-2011, 10:39 PM   #2
country flag RustyOz

RustyOz has a reputation beyond reputeRustyOz has a reputation beyond reputeRustyOz has a reputation beyond reputeRustyOz has a reputation beyond reputeRustyOz has a reputation beyond reputeRustyOz has a reputation beyond reputeRustyOz has a reputation beyond reputeRustyOz has a reputation beyond reputeRustyOz has a reputation beyond reputeRustyOz has a reputation beyond reputeRustyOz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: J.P. Smith

Welcome to the Men's Forum Jipper.
What a champion, carved up Kelly in his 1st match, after qualies that is.
In qualifying did not drop a set, conceding only 13 games in 8 sets...

From Townsville, Queensland, tennis has been this banana-bender's game since he was in primary school. JP represented Australia as a Junior at age 12 and was a Junior National Champion at some times over the years. I recall him playing against Nishikori, both aged 13, in the 14&U Nationals in Brisbane. Can't recall the result but JP gave Kei a good match.
He reached a high of 6 in the ITF World Junior's. A tall but slightly built guy, JP found it hard going against the big hitters of his age group such as Lindner, Nicholls, Jones and Klein in the latter part of the Juniors, and elected to go to College in the USA, Tennessee I think, where he has carved out a name for himself. At Tennessee he was the MVP (?) player for 4 years in a row, a USA Collegiate record and has, at various times over the four years, been the No. 1 ranked singles and doubles player, only the 2nd player to be ranked No.1 in both at the same time.
A crafty and intelligent player, JP will trouble many on the Men's circuit. I will follow his progress keenly.
Good luck Jipper.

Last edited by RustyOz : 06-24-2011 at 11:30 AM.
RustyOz is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote