MensTennisForums.com - View Single Post - ...

Thread: ...
View Single Post

Old 06-09-2011, 02:39 PM   #21
country flag Jomp1

Jomp1 has a reputation beyond reputeJomp1 has a reputation beyond reputeJomp1 has a reputation beyond reputeJomp1 has a reputation beyond reputeJomp1 has a reputation beyond reputeJomp1 has a reputation beyond reputeJomp1 has a reputation beyond reputeJomp1 has a reputation beyond reputeJomp1 has a reputation beyond reputeJomp1 has a reputation beyond reputeJomp1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Eurosport Loses Roland Garros Tv rights

Quote:
Originally Posted by sokk View Post
And I bet you that Canal+ will get it. They are willing to offer the most money, so I'm nearly 100 % sure they'll get it. I mean.. it's not like we have that many options in Norway. Eurosport is the only sports channel that's not a pay channel, it's in most cable packages, so most people have it and can watch tennis on it. But all of the other sports channels here are pay channels, with Canal+ being the biggest one. I mean, NRK could possibly buy the rights, but I see it as unlikely since NRK is in deep financial trouble, which is why they sold their Wimbledon rights last year. Maybe Viasat 4 could buy it, but I guess that's unlikely too since they seem to focus on football, with very little tennis, and they have a small capacity, and I don't think it's big enough to show multiple courts from the French many hours during the two weeks. We're left with Canal+. I bet they'll get the rights, I really don't see any other channels having enough money and capacity to buy the rights, at least not here in Norway.

Canal+ buying the rights sucks, since most people don't have the Canal+ sports package. Very few people will be able to watch Roland Garros on tv.
Viasat is big in Sweden, with one of their sports channels(TV10) being distributed to most basic cable packages, so I can see them buying it. However, they dropped their ATP world tour right this year to canal+, so I'm not sure if they wanna invest in tennis again. TV3 used to broadcast Wimbledon for like 15 years though, maybe it's time to finally get a Slam back?
Jomp1 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote