MensTennisForums.com - View Single Post - There is no finish line...

View Single Post

Old 03-09-2011, 05:54 PM   #84
country flag ApproachShot

ApproachShot has a reputation beyond reputeApproachShot has a reputation beyond reputeApproachShot has a reputation beyond reputeApproachShot has a reputation beyond reputeApproachShot has a reputation beyond reputeApproachShot has a reputation beyond reputeApproachShot has a reputation beyond reputeApproachShot has a reputation beyond reputeApproachShot has a reputation beyond reputeApproachShot has a reputation beyond reputeApproachShot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: There is no finish line...

Quote:
Originally Posted by duong View Post
when it's in a middle of a grand slam or Indian Wells or Miami which last two weeks, the ATP makes no update of the rankings in the middle of the tournament, which means that his official "ranking" at this moment is the one from previous week.

Here it must have been the monday in the middle of the US Open then he was number 2.

Anyway if you want to calculate, the best is here :

http://www.atpworldtour.com/Tennis/P...erer.aspx?t=rh

I counted 376 weeks in the top-2 for certain (as he will stay number 2 until the end of Indian Wells), including 346 ones between the 17th of november 2003 and the 5th of july 2010 :
- 4 weeks between the 11th of august 2003 and the 8th of september
- 346 between the 17th of november 2003 and the 5th of july 2010
- 4 weeks between the 16th of august 2010 and the 13th of september 2010
- 22 weeks for certain between the 18th of october 2010 and the 21st of march 2011

EDIT : from what I read above, 376 weeks is exactly Sampras's total
I checked : 376 is actually also Sampras's total
Thanks for the very quick response. Yes, I just realised that they didn't update the rankings in the middle of 2 week tournaments and have edited my posts above to reflect that. With using the ATP website and filling in data for the missing weeks I also come to the conclusion that he is on 374 (and yes, Sampras has 376 for sure).

Now with Fed guaranteed to keep #2 until the Monday after Indian Wells - that is a further 2 weeks - that means equaling Sampras' record is guaranteed! To surpass Sampras by the end of this month he will have to most likely beat Djokovic in a potential semi-final clash.

Also...
Quote:
Originally Posted by duong View Post
for Sampras the longest consecutive period in the top-3 was indeed between the 18th of may 1992 and the 15th of november 1999, which is also 7 and a half years
It seems very plausible that Federer will be able to make it 8 consecutive years in the top 3.