MensTennisForums.com - View Single Post - Milos Raonic

Thread: Milos Raonic
View Single Post

Old 02-18-2011, 06:46 PM   #959
country flag canuckfan

canuckfan has a reputation beyond reputecanuckfan has a reputation beyond reputecanuckfan has a reputation beyond reputecanuckfan has a reputation beyond reputecanuckfan has a reputation beyond reputecanuckfan has a reputation beyond reputecanuckfan has a reputation beyond reputecanuckfan has a reputation beyond reputecanuckfan has a reputation beyond reputecanuckfan has a reputation beyond reputecanuckfan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Milos Raonic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sokk View Post
You know what, I think it comes down to two things.. The Montenegrins are VERY nationalistic, just like the Serbs. And honestly, I get it.. they went through a war and finally got their separation from Yugoslavia. I understand they are proud of their country now, after they probably went through a lot during the war. That's why they are VERY nationalistic, when it comes to anything Montenegrin, even though this Montenegrin is mostly Canadian I also think they are kinda jealous. They wish Milos played for their country, again, I get it, but I think the Montenegrins are taking it a bit too far when they say GO MONTENEGRO on Facebook when Milos plays. He is representing CANADA, NOT Montenegro! Like I said, if a Norwegian athelete moved to another country when he was THREE years old, and then lived there for the rest of his life, and decided to play for them.. I would totally understand that. I don't think we can claim someone just because they were born here when they GREW up in another country! The Montenegrins should understand this. But then again, I guess they'll calm down when Milos have been playing for Canada for a few years and they'll realize he won't be playing for them. Well, at least I hope he'll continue to play for Canada, I mean.. you never know.

OK, I just thought about two examples.. You have Eric Guay, a Canadian alpine skier, who has Norwegian parents. Canada also has Ryder Hesjedal, a cyclist, who obviously has a very Norwegian last name, and probably has Norwegian parents or grandparents.. I get it's not the same as being born in Norway, but still.. I don't go around claiming these as one of ours. It's a fun fact they have Norwegian heritage, but that's as far as it goes.
Eric Guay has Norwegian parents? "Guay" is pretty frequent surname in Quebec. Do you mean his mother?

(sorry if this is off topic)
canuckfan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote