MensTennisForums.com - View Single Post - Todd Martin with Djokovic: The worst coaching stint in tennis history?

View Single Post

Old 01-31-2011, 07:59 PM   #18
country flag Lee
Gugaholic

Lee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Todd Martin with Djokovic: The worst coaching stint in tennis history?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo View Post
This. Martin was not the cause of his collapse, but he also didn't help Djokovic get out of it.
I think one of the errors in that coaching relationship is that Martin perhaps pressed Novak *too much* regarding coming to net. Djokovic will always be best from the baseline, with just the occasional foray to close at net when he is well set up for it. Martin wanted to see too much net play out of a guy who just isn't very naturally gifted from that part of the court.

Also I'm pretty sure Djokovic hasn't lost in a GS R16 in many many years... AO '07 maybe?
Agree with this. Also, Martin's personality is total opposite of Nole's team and Nole himself.

At the end of 2009, Novak had the crazy schedule of winning Beijing, Basel and Paris plus reaching SF in Shanghai. He was exhausted in WTF and his shoulder was hurting. He did not say anything about this but his shoulder was taped almost all the time since then. He kept saying it's precaution but we only saw this around the time his serve sucked.

One thing that I saw improvement in Novak's game is his slice from Martin's time. But it's not a big part of his game and not a significant improvement that would compensate for his lost of confidence and serve. Also, there's improvement in his drop shots even though they are still bad but are comparatively better than before. Before, 9 out of 10 times, his drop shots are either drop before the net or bounce too high or at the totally wrong time, now it's only 5 out of 10.
Lee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote