MensTennisForums.com - View Single Post - Todd Martin with Djokovic: The worst coaching stint in tennis history?

View Single Post

Old 01-31-2011, 07:31 PM   #17
country flag tnosugar

tnosugar has a reputation beyond reputetnosugar has a reputation beyond reputetnosugar has a reputation beyond reputetnosugar has a reputation beyond reputetnosugar has a reputation beyond reputetnosugar has a reputation beyond reputetnosugar has a reputation beyond reputetnosugar has a reputation beyond reputetnosugar has a reputation beyond reputetnosugar has a reputation beyond reputetnosugar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Todd Martin with Djokovic: The worst coaching stint in tennis history?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo View Post
This. Martin was not the cause of his collapse, but he also didn't help Djokovic get out of it.

I think one of the errors in that coaching relationship is that Martin perhaps pressed Novak *too much* regarding coming to net. Djokovic will always be best from the baseline, with just the occasional foray to close at net when he is well set up for it. Martin wanted to see too much net play out of a guy who just isn't very naturally gifted from that part of the court.

Also I'm pretty sure Djokovic hasn't lost in a GS R16 in many many years... AO '07 maybe?
I think it's rather about perfecting one aspect of your game, before moving on. Both Federer and Nadal have taken this approach. Novak lost more than a year trying to improve his net play and in the process lost confidence with his basic game.

This year should be about tentatively improving these aspects, without losing direction and a comfort zone to fall back to that works on most occasions.

20-something girl: So, I guess we are now officially corporate hos.
30-something man: Yeah, so now you have to learn to play tennis.
Girl passerby: What does that have to do with anything?
20-something girl: Then we can be corporate hos and tennis pros -- duh.
30-something man: We should do commercials... Why don't we work for an ad agency?!

--59th & Lex
tnosugar is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote