MensTennisForums.com - View Single Post - More News

Thread: More News
View Single Post

Old 01-22-2011, 06:33 PM   #316
country flag Stephan

Stephan has a reputation beyond reputeStephan has a reputation beyond reputeStephan has a reputation beyond reputeStephan has a reputation beyond reputeStephan has a reputation beyond reputeStephan has a reputation beyond reputeStephan has a reputation beyond reputeStephan has a reputation beyond reputeStephan has a reputation beyond reputeStephan has a reputation beyond reputeStephan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: More News

Andre's Blog Update:
Jan 19, 2011

Expanding Our Reach

Posted 19th January 2011

Here we are heading full steam into 2011, and as I think about the coming year one word keeps stirring in my thoughts; opportunity. Our ability to improve children’s lives, and our influence in bringing reform to education in America is going to grow this year.

We’ve started the year with several significant opportunities to effect change in Education. First, I’ve met with Nevada’s incoming governor, Brian Sandoval. Together we talked about how vital it is that every child in Nevada has access to a great education and successfully reaches graduation. I stressed that the achievement gap between the wealthy and the underprivileged will only be closed if we have the courage to create real reform. It is morally the right thing to
do, and on a practical level, it is the right thing for the future of our state.

I've also had the pleasure of meeting with the new Superintendent of the Clark County School District, which is by the way, the fifth largest in the nation. Dwight Jones brings a reputation of innovation and reform. Working alongside the new governor, this is our best chance for real systemic change for education. It can't come soon enough.

Our next great opportunity to effect change is on the national level. Arne Duncan, the administration’s reform minded head of the Department of Education, has named our own Francisco Aguilar to the national board of the ‘Fund for the Improvement of Postsecondary Education’ (FIPSE) in Washington DC. A board filled with extremely talented and influential members from Universities and Institutes from around the country. ‘Cisco’ has been with the Agassi Foundation for three years and we’re proud he will be serving our country, contributing his enormous abilities and representing our principles of reform on a national level.

Also, I’ve personally been spending more and more time working closely with businesses and the private sector, mapping out the role they can play in bringing better education to those living in poverty. I’ve been meeting with CEO’s, directors, financial institutions, inner city mayors and many others to harness their resources to build new charter schools where they’re needed the most.

So if I’m not umpiring a little league game, or in some corner of the globe trying to raise funds for our Foundation, I’m most likely in a boardroom somewhere in America advocating for the next generation. It’s going to be an exciting year!
Leave a comment
Stephan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote