MensTennisForums.com - View Single Post - 2011 Australian Open!

View Single Post

Old 01-21-2011, 03:24 PM   #339
country flag *bunny*

*bunny* has a reputation beyond repute*bunny* has a reputation beyond repute*bunny* has a reputation beyond repute*bunny* has a reputation beyond repute*bunny* has a reputation beyond repute*bunny* has a reputation beyond repute*bunny* has a reputation beyond repute*bunny* has a reputation beyond repute*bunny* has a reputation beyond repute*bunny* has a reputation beyond repute*bunny* has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2011 Australian Open!

Yeah it sucks.
Hope his right hip is OK. He didn't chase down some balls that he would've run down normally, even after the medical time out.
I have to give props to Verdasco for keeping his concentraton throughout the match and employing the right strategy---he started with a slow pace, and gradually increased intensity. And he overpowered Kei with heavy spins on the ball.

R3 in a slam is not a bad result---and his ranking after AO will rise to around #70. Hope he can use what he's learned about playing a top player in the February US hc season (although I have a feeling he needs more match practice againt European/South American players.)

According to facebook, he will return to Japan briefly for business reasons (meeting UNIQLO guys?) and then return to Florida.

Postmatch interview:
http://www.menstennisforums.com/show...175173&page=23

Q. Where do you think it all went wrong today mainly?

KEI NISHIKORI: Today especially returns I think I wasn't making a lot and I was missing too much. He was hitting really like heavy ball, and he have bounce high. It was really tough to play on here against him.

Q. Have you ever played against a forehand like that?

KEI NISHIKORI: Kind of, yeah, Nadal. Heavy topspin and it was really tough when he hits to my backhand, high forehand, high topspin.

Yeah.

Q. You began working with Brad Gilbert at the end of last year. What do you think specifically he's helped you with to improve?

KEI NISHIKORI: Um, he mentioned some about my tennis, more percentage on my serve, more steady on the groundstrokes, and, yeah, that kind of stuff.

Also supporting Rafael Nadal, Kei Nishikori, Lleyton Hewitt
David Ferrer, Andy Murray, Juan Martin Del Potro, Nikolay Davydenko, David Nalbandian
Goran Ivanisevic and Marat Safin
#3 Ferrero Tard
*bunny* is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote