MensTennisForums.com - View Single Post - Mark "The Scud" cheering thread!!

View Single Post

Old 01-11-2005, 08:49 PM   #79
Pink Panther

Pink Panther has a reputation beyond reputePink Panther has a reputation beyond reputePink Panther has a reputation beyond reputePink Panther has a reputation beyond reputePink Panther has a reputation beyond reputePink Panther has a reputation beyond reputePink Panther has a reputation beyond reputePink Panther has a reputation beyond reputePink Panther has a reputation beyond reputePink Panther has a reputation beyond reputePink Panther has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mark "The Scud" cheering thread!!

Quote:
Philippoussis set to withdraw from Open

Victorian Mark Philippoussis appears almost certain to withdraw from next week's Australian Open with a groin injury.

The US Open and Wimbledon finalist has been undergoing intensive treatment in Melbourne with Australia's Davis Cup physiotherapist Andrea Bisaz after tearing his groin at last week's Hopman Cup in Perth.

But having already been forced to withdraw from this week's Medibank International in Sydney with the injury, Bisaz says Philippoussis is unlikely to recover in time to take his place at Melbourne Park.

"I certainly wouldn't put money on it, but he is receiving treatment," Bisaz told the Herald Sun.

If Philippoussis does elect to play though, Australia's Davis Cup coach Wally Masur told AAP he would not be surprised to see him perform well, after he overcame injury to lead the team to the teams title in 2003.

"He's a pretty mercurial character," said Masur, who admitted Philippoussis could be selected for March's opening round Davis Cup tie against Austria in Sydney, even though he has been badly out of form.

"No one doubts what he's capable of. One thing about Mark that just sort of highlights what he's capable of is that Davis Cup final. He had a tear in his pectoral muscle."

"When he finished playing, he had a lump the size of a tennis ball on the right-hand side. I've never seen anything like it. And he beat Juan Carlos Ferrero 6-0 (in the fifth set). It was an extraordinary effort."
That kinda sux. Rest well.