MensTennisForums.com - View Single Post - ATP Finals

Thread: ATP Finals
View Single Post

Old 12-04-2010, 03:14 PM   #64
country flag Chirag
Federer fan forever

Chirag has a reputation beyond reputeChirag has a reputation beyond reputeChirag has a reputation beyond reputeChirag has a reputation beyond reputeChirag has a reputation beyond reputeChirag has a reputation beyond reputeChirag has a reputation beyond reputeChirag has a reputation beyond reputeChirag has a reputation beyond reputeChirag has a reputation beyond reputeChirag has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ATP Finals

Valencia 2010

David Ferrer scored a huge win in his bid to qualify for the Barclays ATP World Tour Finals Sunday, capturing his hometown title at the Valencia Open 500 with a 7-5, 6-3 win over fellow Spaniard Marcel Granollers.

Victory at the ATP World Tour 500 indoor hard-court tennis tournament gives Ferrer 200 points to add to his year-to-date total, which will see him leapfrog Basel semi-finalist Andy Roddick into seventh place in the year-to-date ATP Rankings going into the final tournament of the regular season at the BNP Paribas Masters. There are three places remaining in the elite eight-man field at the prestigious event, to be held 21-28 November at The O2 in London.

The 28-year-old Ferrer won his second ATP World Tour title from five finals this year, having also triumphed on clay in Acapulco (d. Ferrero) and finished runner-up in Buenos Aires (l. to Ferrero), Rome (l. to Nadal) and Beijing (l. to Djokovic). It was the ninth ATP World Tour title of Ferrer’s career, and his first at an indoor hard-court tournament.

Watch Final Highlights

“This is one of the happiest days of my life. It's hard to find the words. It's very special and I'm very happy to win at home,” said a delighted Ferrer. “It's also very special for me as I have a good chance for London now as well. Even though I am not yet mathematically qualified, it gives me a lot of confidence.”

In the first all-Spanish indoor final on the ATP World Tour for 10 years, Ferrer squandered a chance to serve for the first set at 5-3, but made amends as he broke the Granollers serve again in the 12th game to seal a one-set lead. Ferrer then converted his only break point chance of the second set in the second game and went on to claim victory in one hour and 49 minutes.

“It was a very tough match today,” reflected Ferrer. “I returned very well, got one break in the second set. There were a lot of great rallies and tough points.”

The Valencia resident also captured his local title in 2008 (d. Almagro), when it was a spring clay-court event, and finished runner-up in 2005 (l. to Andreev). He has a 17-4 event record.

Watch Post-Match Interviews: Ferrer | Granollers

Lucky loser Granollers benefitted from Jo-Wilfried Tsonga’s withdrawal and dropped only one set as he advanced to his second career ATP World Tour final (1-1 record). He is the second lucky loser in two weeks to reach an ATP World Tour final, following Andreas Haider-Maurer’s runner-up effort in Vienna last week, and was bidding to become the first one to win a title since Rajeev Ram in Newport in July 2009.

Currently No. 67 in the South African Airways 2010 ATP Rankings, Granollers will rise to around No. 45 (just one below his career-high placing) on Monday.

“Unfortunately I lost today, but it was still a great week and I'm very happy,” said Granollers. “It was a good match, but David was very solid and he played better than me today. Still, it's been a good week and I'd like to continue like this. Getting to the final of a 500 tournament gives me a lot of confidence for the future.”
Chirag is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote