MensTennisForums.com - View Single Post - ATP Finals

Thread: ATP Finals
View Single Post

Old 12-04-2010, 02:44 PM   #36
country flag Chirag
Federer fan forever

Chirag has a reputation beyond reputeChirag has a reputation beyond reputeChirag has a reputation beyond reputeChirag has a reputation beyond reputeChirag has a reputation beyond reputeChirag has a reputation beyond reputeChirag has a reputation beyond reputeChirag has a reputation beyond reputeChirag has a reputation beyond reputeChirag has a reputation beyond reputeChirag has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ATP Finals

Unicef Open 2010

Sergiy Stakhovsky out-served seventh-seeded Serbian Janko Tipsarevic to win the third ATP World Tour title of his career on Saturday at the UNICEF Open. Both players dined out together in 's-Hertogenbosch on Thursday and Friday nights.

The Ukrainian, who also beat Tipsarevic en route to his first title at the PBZ Zagreb Indoors in February 2008, triumphed 6-3, 6-0 in 56 minutes. Stakhovsky did not drop a set in five matches, winning 43 of 46 service games, at the ATP World Tour 250 grass-court tennis tournament.

Stakhovsky won 250 South African Airways 2010 ATP Ranking points and earned €72,500 in prize money, while Tipsarevic – who was also appearing in his first grass-court final – picked up 150 points and €37,900.

"I played really well today," said Stakhovsky, who donated the racquet he used to UNICEF. "By the score, I believe this would be the easiest match of the week, but it definitely wasn’t as there was a lot of tension.

"I can't really say I had easy matches [this week]; more or less all of them were close in some way. I think I was a bit better and a little more consistent."

World No. 71 Stakhovsky hit eight aces and dropped just seven points on serve in the final. He converted four of 12 break point opportunities to improve to a 16-12 match record on the season.

"I have played three finals in my career and before my previous semi-finals and finals I could not sleep," admitted Stakhovsky. "I seriously slept for only four hours each day. Today, I was nervous but I had slept okay. Sometimes I struggle with my emotions before matches. I know a big match is coming, but I am nervous."

In the first set, the 24 year old converted his third break point opportunity in the fourth game and confirmed the break when he hit his second ace to take a 4-1 lead. Stakhovsky won 21 of 25 service points to wrap up the 35-minute opener.

Tipsarevic won just nine points in the 20-minute second-set, with Stakhovsky hitting five aces and converting three of six break point opportunities.

"I'm very disappointed," said Tipsarevic. "But Sergiy played very well during the whole week. I somehow lost my spirit."

Prior to this week Tipsarevic had not won a tour-level match since February, when he reached the Barclays Dubai Tennis Championships quarter-finals (l. to Youzhny). He dropped to a 10-11 season mark.

Tipsarevic, who turns 26 on Tuesday, also lost to Mikhail Youzhny in the Kremlin Cup final at Moscow in October last year.

Both players will now travel to Wimbledon.aspx">Wimbledon to compete at The Championships, which begins on Monday. Stakhovsky will meet No. 18 seed Sam Querrey of the United States in the first round while Tipsarevic, who reached the fourth round in 2007 and 2008, has been drawn to face France’s Arnaud Clement.

"I will play Sam Querrey on Tuesday," said Stakhovsky. "It will be a tough match. He is [at the] top of his game, having won titles on every surface this year. He is a complete player, with a big serve and a great forehand. I believe I am in good shape and have two days to rest and prepare."

Tipsarevic said: "I will play Arnaud Clement again [they played in the second round this week] but it will be a completely different match in Wimbledon." Tipsarevic won 3-6, 6-1, 6-3 on Wednesday.
Chirag is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote