MensTennisForums.com - View Single Post - Guga and Roland Garros, born for each other

View Single Post

Old 10-05-2002, 01:24 AM   #18
country flag Dissident

Dissident has a reputation beyond reputeDissident has a reputation beyond reputeDissident has a reputation beyond reputeDissident has a reputation beyond reputeDissident has a reputation beyond reputeDissident has a reputation beyond reputeDissident has a reputation beyond reputeDissident has a reputation beyond reputeDissident has a reputation beyond reputeDissident has a reputation beyond reputeDissident has a reputation beyond repute

06/01/1997
THE YOUNG RUSSIAN SHAKED

As she stepped for the first time on Roland Garros´ Central Court clay, the beautiful Anna Kournikova forgot her powerful tennis, which she showed us in her first two rounds.

Facing world number one, Kournikova got tight, put her head down, and got spanked. Martina Hingis had her best performance so far in Paris, an won easily, 6-1 and 6-3 in only 42 minutes.

Now, everybody is waiting for the magic final against Steffi Graf. Everybody but Monica Seles, who is also playing very well, and should face Hingis in the semifinals.

After the spectacular win over Muster, Gustavo Kuerten is receiving tons of nicknames, given by the european press. The “L´Equipe” calls him the “clay surfer” and remembers that his last name is the same as the famous serial killer on Germany´s history.

“After Muster, is it now time for the Medvedev Extermination?”, speculates the famous french sports newspaper.

Enchanted by Kuerten, the journalists from Germany got enthusiastic as soon as they knew Guga is a german descent (his grandmother on the father´s side) and that he has a german passport.

- You can play Davis Cup for our country, then? – they asked, thrilled.

Guga laugh, but cut all the talk with an overhead smash:

- If I ever thought of that, the brazilians would kill me! I´m crazy for my country, and it is the one I´m always gonna play for.

Some scaring numbers on Medvedev´s career: victories over Sampras, Ivanisevic, Kafelnikov and Edberg. There´s no doubt Guga will have another hard nut to crack today.

Guided to be one of the tournament´s stars – his name was cited by Guga in his press conference after the Muster match – coach Larri Passos used the many interviews he is giving to the european press to defend the training methods used in Brazil:

- A lot of people think that a good tennis player will only reach good form if he goes out to practice in the USA. That´s a big error. We, brazilians, are very emotive and connected to our stuff. Take some native boy away from our beaches, for example, is a crime. The important is to do the job seriously and plan correctly the matches abroad. Me and Guga are together for seven years, and the result is there.

Since he got to Paris (he is checked in a modest hotel called Mont Blanc, next to Roland Garros), Guga had all his meals on an italian Pizza Restaurant around. The place is very simple, but the name sounds great: Victoria.

- It´s working, why change? – jokes the player.

The doubles tournament is over for the brazilians: Meligeni and Kuerten were defeated yesterday by the north americans Rick Leach and Jonathan Stark, in the second round, on a double 3-6.

John McEnroe is not the only former player to work as a commentator in Roland Garros. Among the “journalists” are also former number ones Chris Evert (NBC) and Tracy Austin (USA Network). Among the french, Henri Leconte (France Television) e Guy Forget (EuroSport).

TWENTY!
'97 ROLAND GARROS, '98 Stuttgart, '98 Mallorca, '99 MONTE CARLO, '99 ROMA, '00 Santiago, '00 HAMBURG, '00 ROLAND GARROS, '00 Indianapolis, '00 MASTERS CUP LISBOA, '01 Buenos Aires, '01 Acapulco, '01 MONTE CARLO, '01 ROLAND GARROS, '01 Stuttgart, '01 CINCINNATI, '02 Costa do Sauipe, '03 Auckland, '03 St. Petersburg, '04 Costa do Sauipe.
Dissident is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote