MensTennisForums.com - View Single Post - The Longest Singles Matches, best of five sets (21st century)

View Single Post

Old 06-23-2010, 10:30 PM   #80
country flag Archer16

Archer16 has a reputation beyond reputeArcher16 has a reputation beyond reputeArcher16 has a reputation beyond reputeArcher16 has a reputation beyond reputeArcher16 has a reputation beyond reputeArcher16 has a reputation beyond reputeArcher16 has a reputation beyond reputeArcher16 has a reputation beyond reputeArcher16 has a reputation beyond reputeArcher16 has a reputation beyond reputeArcher16 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Longest Singles Matches, best of five sets (21st century)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archer16 View Post
Thank you, I'll add a bit (for those who didn't read about this 5-day match and for future generations )
Most of the information can be found in this thread but again, I think great stuff like that just drown in the sea that is General Messages forum.
By all means correct me if there's anything wrong.

In a match that has started on Saturday and finished on Wednesday (due to 7 rain delays and the traditional [yet stupid] Sunday off) Melo/Sa def. Hanley/Ullyet 7-5, 6-7 (4), 6-4, 6-7 (7), 28-26. It was the longest 5th set ever in any match, singles or doubles (tied with one Wimbledon 89' Singles qualifier).
The game lasted 5h 58m (the last set alone 3h 5m) - they just missed the GS Doubles record (set in Wimbledon 2006) by 11 minutes. The victors saved 4 MPs in the decider.

The longest decisive set is two games longer:
Ireland/Arthurs def. Brandi/Messori 6-3, 3-6, 29-27 (Australian Open '97). At 4h 36m, this is the longest 3-setter ever, at least since tie-breaks were introduced.

Going through the net, I've found 3 longer sets:
Dick Leach/Dick Dell def. Schloss/Mozur 3-6, 49-47(!!!), 22-20 (Newport '67)
Stan Smith/Van Dillen def. Cornejo/Fillol 7-9, 37-39, 8-6, 6-1, 6-3 (Davis Cup '73)
Segura/Olmedo def. Segal/Forbes 32-30, 5-7, 6-4, 6-4 (Wimbledon '68; GS record)
It’s worth mentioning Segura was 47 at that time.

Surely at least the first one must have lasted over 7h, but I haven't been able to find out more about it. Do you know more about these three?
Even that one is already gone as the longest pro set regardless of singles or doubles
Archer16 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote