MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com (http://www.menstennisforums.com/index.php)
-   The Brit Pack (http://www.menstennisforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=139)
-   -   Team GB Vs '2005 Davis Cup Winners' Croatia / GB Def. Croatia 4-1 (http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=99584)

JustJames 04-11-2007 11:06 AM

Team GB Vs '2005 Davis Cup Winners' Croatia / GB Def. Croatia 4-1
 
Obviously GB have been handed a very hard tie...but...to be the best you must beat the best..soo... :D

The only positive spin is that GB will play this tie at home, giving them stadia, crowd and surface advantage.

The first question is...What surface should GB lay down?

I originally thought grass, because Ljubo hasn't had much success on it, but they also have Ancic and Karlovic so it is a two sided coin...

Hmm..alot to think about..

But overall looking forward to a great tie :D

MissPovaFan 04-11-2007 12:28 PM

Re: Team GB Vs '2005 Davis Cup Winners' Croatia
 
I think it all depends on whether Ancic is fit or not - if he's not then I'd definitely go for grass, otherwise maybe a slow hard court?

I think Ljubicic should win both his singles and then it depends on whether Ancic is fit or not. I'd back Henman to beat Karlovic but not Ancic. I'd back us to win the doubles though as they haven't got any doubles specialists whereas we have Jamie Murray.

jitterbug 04-11-2007 12:31 PM

Re: Team GB Vs '2005 Davis Cup Winners' Croatia
 
A Ljubo/Ancic team could be deadly if Ancic is fit though.. Lloyd might have to take a gamble and field Murray/Murray for the doubles.

MissPovaFan 04-11-2007 12:33 PM

Re: Team GB Vs '2005 Davis Cup Winners' Croatia
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by jitterbug (Post 5173328)
A Ljubo/Ancic team could be deadly if Ancic is fit though.. Lloyd might have to take a gamble and field Murray/Murray for the doubles.

Yep if Ancic is fit then Murray/Murray is a must!

JustJames 04-11-2007 12:44 PM

Re: Team GB Vs '2005 Davis Cup Winners' Croatia
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulHopkins (Post 5173319)
I think it all depends on whether Ancic is fit or not - if he's not then I'd definitely go for grass, otherwise maybe a slow hard court?

I think Ljubicic should win both his singles and then it depends on whether Ancic is fit or not. I'd back Henman to beat Karlovic but not Ancic. I'd back us to win the doubles though as they haven't got any doubles specialists whereas we have Jamie Murray.

You don't think that Murray would be capable of beating Ljubicic on a slow hard or grass court? Both bad surfaces for Ljubicic, but especially on a slower court, Murray would probably be able to grind out a victory due to the longer rallies.

Yes I agree with you about Ancic/Henman. Ancic beat a much healthier and younger Tim at Wimbledon, so I doubt Tim would fair any better now...

MissPovaFan 04-11-2007 12:48 PM

Re: Team GB Vs '2005 Davis Cup Winners' Croatia
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by JamesObv. (Post 5173408)
You don't think that Murray would be capable of beating Ljubicic on a slow hard or grass court? Both bad surfaces for Ljubicic, but especially on a slower court, Murray would probably be able to grind out a victory due to the longer rallies.

Yes I agree with you about Ancic/Henman. Ancic beat a much healthier and younger Tim at Wimbledon, so I doubt Tim would fair any better now...

I think any Murray-Ljubicic match is pretty much 50-50 on any surface to be honest. The slower the better for Murray I guess. I don't understand Ljubicic's failure on the grass at all though as he has the game for it.

Yeah I can't see Henman beating either of the top two Croats and that's on any surface sadly.

I think we need Murray on top form and a lot of luck. It may be that we are reliant on Murray winning three matches unless Karlovic plays and then I'd back Henman.

JustJames 04-11-2007 02:20 PM

Re: Team GB Vs '2005 Davis Cup Winners' Croatia
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulHopkins (Post 5173428)
I think any Murray-Ljubicic match is pretty much 50-50 on any surface to be honest. The slower the better for Murray I guess. I don't understand Ljubicic's failure on the grass at all though as he has the game for it.

Yeah I can't see Henman beating either of the top two Croats and that's on any surface sadly.

I think we need Murray on top form and a lot of luck. It may be that we are reliant on Murray winning three matches unless Karlovic plays and then I'd back Henman.

Yea it's pretty confusing..although it's the same as Safin's failure on grass. Big serve, groudstrokes...but still atrocious :lol:

So if we were very optimistic and said that Murray would win both his matches, and the doubles could go either way, in some ways we are hoping that Ancic isn't fit or injured...which is not something I particularly want to wish upon any player..but it would be helpful ;)

jazar 04-11-2007 05:21 PM

Re: Team GB Vs '2005 Davis Cup Winners' Croatia
 
dear god no, its going to be murray/ljubicic. they better have some loud air horns for that match, cos most of the crowd will fall asleep.

heres my prediction as a truly patriotic and unbiased brit, croatia will whip our guys sorry asses

Duncan 04-11-2007 10:17 PM

Re: Team GB Vs '2005 Davis Cup Winners' Croatia
 
GB to win 3-2

johnnylad 04-13-2007 09:03 AM

Re: Team GB Vs '2005 Davis Cup Winners' Croatia
 
Jazar's predictions in the last match vs Netherlands were to my liking!

More of the same GB!

jazar 04-13-2007 11:36 AM

Re: Team GB Vs '2005 Davis Cup Winners' Croatia
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnylad (Post 5182852)
Jazar's predictions in the last match vs Netherlands were to my liking!

More of the same GB!

those predictions were more in hope. there was nevern any doubt of beating the dutch. the croatians are more talented than the dutch and more talented than us

johnnylad 04-15-2007 03:44 PM

Re: Team GB Vs '2005 Davis Cup Winners' Croatia
 
you hoped that Sluiter would bt Murray and Haase would beat Tim.

right

jazar 04-15-2007 04:52 PM

Re: Team GB Vs '2005 Davis Cup Winners' Croatia
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnylad (Post 5195197)
you hoped that Sluiter would bt Murray and Haase would beat Tim.

right

yes cos i hoped murray would lose cos i absolutely despise him and i hoped henman would lose to make the tie more interesting

JustJames 09-12-2007 04:06 PM

Re: Team GB Vs '2005 Davis Cup Winners' Croatia
 
Only 9 more days until the tie begins... :banana:
Team GB's prospects are actually looking a lot brighter now that Ancic and Karlovic have made themselves unavailable..

Score predictions please...?

I will punt with 3-2 to GB [after going 3-0 up.. :angel: ]

JustJames 09-12-2007 04:23 PM

Re: Team GB Vs '2005 Davis Cup Winners' Croatia
 
Another interesting question..

Who should be played with Jamie in the dubs? Obvious answer = Andy, but is his wrist capable of three matches in three days should it be a close tie..?


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:49 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.