Mens Tennis Forums banner

Donald Young

100K views 1K replies 79 participants last post by  bearitone315 
#1 ·
Does anybody know of his schedule? He should have got a wild card at Memphis, but oh well.

#2 ·
He got enough wildcards last year.

I've nothing against the kid and I hope he makes a success of himself because he's been badly mishandled, but I think it will do his confidence much better in the long run if he works his way up so he has the right to be in these events and the wildcards are given out sparingly.

#3 ·
he fought through the qualies in the challenger this week in Joplin, and won a round before losing the 2nd round. no preferential treatment, no WC, just good, hard-fought tennis. :yeah:

#5 ·
I watched that match. Djokovic was half asleep in that first set. When he finally got going he battered Young off the court. I think Young won 4 more games in 3 sets.

Young has a good all round game but it is still a boy's game in a boy's body - and he definitely still has the competitive match-toughness of a boy. He doesn't need wildcards, he needs to grind his way up to the top and earn his stripes lower down, as he is started to do, I am pleased to see. Those battles down there will toughen his matchplay up and make him a much more solid competitor in future.

They've attempted to take too many shortcuts with him and it's been disasterous. I dare say Miami will give him a wildcard, because it's IMG and so is he, but they should be kept to a minimum - or give him WC into quallies, perhaps. Attempting to parachute him into the top flight will not work.

Having said all that, I hope he does well for himself and makes it onto the regular ATP tour in the next few years.

#6 ·
Why don't you send a friend request to his myspace page and profess your undying love to him there. :)

He is not ready for the Tour, probably not for at least a year.

#8 ·
Young won his first pro title today, beating fellow 17-year-old Kei Nishikori 6-2, 6-2 in the final of USA F8 Futures. He also won the doubles title with Nishikori. It's his third doubles title this year (two futures and one challenger).

Here are his singles results:

1st: def. Izak Van Der Merwe 5-7, 7-5, 6-4
2nd: def. Ryler De Heart 7-5, 6-1
QF: def. #2 seed Jamie Baker 6-2, 6-2
SF: def. #4 seed Harel Levy 6-4, 2-6, 7-5
F: def. Kei Nishikori 6-2, 6-2

Van Der Merwe and De Heart were the finalists of last week's USA F7 Futures. De Heart was also one of the best collegiate players over the last couple years.

This result follows a solid performance at the Valencia Challenger last week, where he reached the quarterfinals, tied for his best performance in a challenger. The week before that he practiced with the Davis Cup team, which may have helped him quite a bit, especially from a psychological standpoint.

#10 ·
Young isn't done with juniors, apparently. He's entered the Wimbledon Junior Championships. He'll have as good a chance as anyone to win it, but he'll have to get through a tough draw to do it since his ranking has dropped so far while he's played in the pros.

#19 ·
Donald is actually allegedly playing the USO Juniors too, and will play Kalamazoo to try to get a main draw WC

Anyway he is in the semis in the Aptos challenger, he beat Kuznetsov in straights today. He also got a WC into Indianapolis next week where he will open against Lee

#20 ·
Young won the Aptos Challenger without dropping a set! He knocked off Nick Lindahl, Rajeev Ram, Alex Kuznetsov, Prakash Amritraj, and Bobby Reynolds. He's on a nice little run here.

I don't see him playing Kalamazoo. He's a mortal lock to receive a WC now.

#23 ·
*crosses fingers*

I'm glad to see he seems to have figured out how the tour really works. Good luck Donald!

#25 ·
I think he deserve UsOpen WC again...
I am not sure but probably will play Kalamazoo USTA Junior Championship (he will be 1st one to win it 3 consecutive times if he play again this year), if he win that again he receives a WC to UsOpen Championship... :D

#26 ·
So he lost 6-2, 6-4 to Hyung-Taik Lee at Indy. Now he gets Mr. Querrey in the first round of the Vancouver Challenger. Querrey beat him 7-6(7), 7-5 last year. Young beat Querrey in the 2005 final at Kalamazoo.

I think playing another youngster with whom he's familiar gives him a shot. He should play with more confidence. However, it's still an uphill battle considering how well Querrey is playing at the moment.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.