MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com (http://www.menstennisforums.com/index.php)
-   Tennis Tipping (http://www.menstennisforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=532)
-   -   Should we bring the Round Robin Format to TT in 2007? (http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=89225)

Labamba 10-27-2006 07:48 AM

Should we bring the Round Robin Format to TT in 2007?

The ATP is planning to test three different Round Robin (where players are placed into groups or pools, and the top player in each group then moves on to the knockout phase of the tournament) formats at select circuit events in 2007. The 13 tournaments testing round robin in 2007, subject to final ATP and tournament agreement, will be (listed chronologically):

· Next Generation Adelaide International; Adelaide, Australia; 32-player round robin; hard court outdoors
· Movistar Open; Viña del Mar, Chile; 24-player round robin; clay court outdoors
· Delray Beach International Tennis Championships; Delray Beach, Florida; 32-player round robin; hard court outdoors
· Copa Telmex; Buenos Aires, Argentina; 32-player round robin; clay court outdoors
· Tennis Channel Open; Las Vegas, Nevada; 32-player round robin; hard court outdoors
· Estoril Open; Estoril, Portugal; 32-player round robin; clay court outdoors
· The Stella Artois Championships; London, United Kingdom; 48-player round robin; grass court outdoors
· Catella Swedish Open; Båstad, Sweden; 32-player round robin; clay court outdoors
· Campbell’s Hall of Fame Tennis Championships; Newport, Rhode Island; 24-player round robin; grass court outdoors
· RCA Championships; Indianapolis, Indiana; 32-player round robin; hard court outdoors
· ATP Studena Croatia Open, Umag, Croatia; 32-player round robin; clay court outdoors
· Legg Mason Tennis Classic; Washington, D.C.; 48-player round robin; hard court outdoors
· If Stockholm Open; Stockholm, Sweden; 32-player round robin; hard court indoors

read more about it here: http://www.atptennis.com/1/en/newsan...news/news5.asp

Would you like to bring these RR events to TT? Please vote and post comments if you feel like it. This poll is only for TT players and it will be open for 30 days.

Action Jackson 10-27-2006 07:52 AM

Re: Should we bring the Round Robin Format to TT in 2007?

Thanks for opening this up to the people Ville.

Personally I say no to the RR format, but what will happen is that players won't committ to the RR event that week and you will have a qualifers list bigger than the main draw.

At the same time it would mean more work for the TT managers and they have enough of a workload as it is.

Action Jackson 10-27-2006 08:02 AM

The Challengers for the weeks that there are RR events might get busy.

Forever-Delayed 10-27-2006 08:51 AM

I don't agree with the RR system at all, but it may be worth a try for the first couple of tournaments just to see what the interest in it is like

Personally, i would play in a RR tournament, but only if it was the tournament that i planned to enter that week eg. Newport, but i wouldn't specifically avoid it, even though i dont like the idea

If we are going to rigidly stick to the ATP calender with draw sizes/entry lists etc, then maybe for the first couple of tournaments it should be trialled, but if say, nobody enters adelaide, then it can be viewed as a failure and we go back to the straight knock-out system

A_Skywalker 10-27-2006 09:16 AM

I dont like the idea , but if we should stick to atp , then we can try these 13 tournaments and if we dont like the results we'll just say "bye" to the RR .

Peta Pan 10-27-2006 09:24 AM

No way. I agree that people are going to be avoiding the RR tournaments. I know I would be definitely steering away from them coz the format is just wrong for the game of tennis so it would be wrong for the game of TT.

invu2day 10-27-2006 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A_Skywalker (Post 4353234)
I dont like the idea , but if we should stick to atp , then we can try these 13 tournaments and if we dont like the results we'll just say "bye" to the RR .

I am in agreement with A_Skywalker here as in the RR format should be given a try and if it is a failure then "bye bye RR". There are 66 ATP tournaments next year with just 13 being selected for RR format. I'm not saying RR format is the way to go but even if we disagree with it we need to give it a go. WE should be playing ATP & TT like for like, I mean that is what TT is trying to emulate.

Therefore I vote yes to give this a go even though I don't think it will work.

Labamba 10-27-2006 10:16 AM

I have the same opinion as before, we don't have to follow ATP in everything if it doesn't make sense or it doesn't fit TT. Round Robin format would be hard to bring into TT and it would make the game more complicated for the players and the managers (a lot of extra work). That's why I voted against RR.

Quote:

Therefore I vote yes to give this a go even though I don't think it will work.
I also don't understand this comment, why do you want to give it a go if you think it won't work? :shrug: We don't have to try it, if we don't like it. That's why this poll was created, to see what the majority of players want to do.

invu2day 10-27-2006 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Labamba (Post 4353489)
I also don't understand this comment, why do you want to give it a go if you think it won't work? :shrug: We don't have to try it, if we don't like it. That's why this poll was created, to see what the majority of players want to do.

What I am saying is in my opinion I don't think it will be that successful, but I am willing to give it a go to see it's outcome. Just because I don't agree with it doesn't mean I won't give it a go. It's like everything in life. You should try most things at least once in your lifetime :p

Björki 10-27-2006 10:25 AM

No thanks :wavey:

balloon 10-27-2006 10:28 AM

Personally i hate the idea of RR

But since the TT game is very much like the real atp tennis matches, we should have the RR format in the 13 tournaments that ATP is going to test on..

Labamba 10-27-2006 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by invu2day (Post 4353526)
What I am saying is in my opinion I don't think it will be that successful, but I am willing to give it a go to see it's outcome. Just because I don't agree with it doesn't mean I won't give it a go. It's like everything in life. You should try most things at least once in your lifetime :p

I get your point now, but don't agree with it :p

Björki 10-27-2006 10:36 AM

Would it be only played at the tournaments who also have RR? If so I'd alway play another one.

Labamba 10-27-2006 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Björki (Post 4353593)
Would it be only played at the tournaments who also have RR? If so I'd alway play another one.

yes, only in the tournaments that are mentioned in the first post of this thread

adee-gee 10-27-2006 10:44 AM

I don't mind, as long as we don't bring in the idea of permanent doubles partners I'm happy :p