MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com (http://www.menstennisforums.com/index.php)
-   Non-Tennis (http://www.menstennisforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Laughing at National and Regional Stereotypes (http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=88289)

Action Jackson 10-16-2006 10:21 AM

Laughing at National and Regional Stereotypes

Since everyone generalises and stereotypes to a degree, it's just a question of who admits to it and who judges everything by these stereotypes. Yes, there are people who will fit it.

The more interesting ones are the regional ones within a country.

I wonder how will it take for people to take this thread seriously and no it should be taken too seriously. This thread might work or it might bomb.

Norwegians:

All Norwegians are blonde haired and blue eyed and yes that even includes the Sami population.

They ski to school or work, they sing when they speak and use ummmmmmm and errrrrrrrrrrrr a lot, have polar bears wandering down the main street, insular, live in the mountains and hunt everything that moves and are considered yokels by Danes and the Swedes.

Eat this horrible dish called lutefisk, haven't evolved from Vikings and don't have a sense of humour

Regional within Australia
Tasmanians are slow, the people have 2 heads from inbreeding and everyone is related to someone else and the fact that some people think they have to exchange currency, since it's different from Australia

Suzi 10-16-2006 10:26 AM

Re: Laughing at National and Regional Stereotypes

i admit when i was younger i use to but not so much now however when i visit a place i sometimes want them to be like my stereotypes if that makes sense!

well i use to think that all the french wore stripey blue/white tops and black trousers, had garlick or onions round ther necks and playing the accordian with a moustache :p and maybe a baguette thrown in

I thought all japanese wore kimonos and socks with those woodern shoes or they were all sumos

cant think of anymore right now

Nathaliia 10-16-2006 10:46 AM

Polish and Russian people are said to drink a lot of vodka :unsure:

its.like.that 10-16-2006 10:55 AM

Many believe Australians ride to school on kangaroos - and yes this is true.

its.like.that 10-16-2006 10:57 AM

In Australia, it is quite common for people to assume that all Germans are Nazis.

:lol:

its.like.that 10-16-2006 10:59 AM

Australians also believe that Italians are cheats, I'm not sure if this is a stereotype or fact.

:scratch:

Suzi 10-16-2006 11:05 AM

oh and i use to think the scots eat haggis all day

JMG 10-16-2006 11:26 AM

The Polish people steal. That is/was a stereotype in Germany. But the last 5 years or so I haven't heard jokes about the Poles anymore.

FrogBurger 10-16-2006 11:48 AM

well some people think that jews have horns, we eat blood and we are all rich, worhip the devil, have caused all or most wars, wish to take over the world and are the cause of homosexuality.

on the positive side, we are said to make good husbands, are clever/intelligent, are supportive of womens' rights and have a deep commitment to study and learning. Women make very nuturing mothers and dote on our sons.

Nathaliia 10-16-2006 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JMG (Post 4284348)
The Polish people steal. That is/was a stereotype in Germany. But the last 5 years or so I haven't heard jokes about the Poles anymore.

Polish girls can steal some hearts in Germany, that's for sure ;)

Yeah... I know there was such a joke: "Go to Poland, you car is already there" :spit:

sharpeirob 10-16-2006 02:24 PM

Its commonly thought Zimbabweans are black.

Naranoc 10-16-2006 02:35 PM

Some generalisations about the UK:

- All Scottish people wear kilts. Yes, even to school and work.
- Our food is crap and bland (pfft!)
- Everyone is reserved and indifferent, we all have 5 o'clock tea with buttered scones/crumpets, and enjoy queuing.
- It rains every day in England.
- We all say 'splendid' 'terribly' and 'spiffing old chum'.
- We have the most bawdy and destructive football hooligans of any country.

Quote:

Its commonly thought Zimbabweans are black.
:lol: You have just highlighted my ignorance.

Choupi 10-16-2006 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suzi (Post 4284041)
well i use to think that all the french wore stripey blue/white tops and black trousers, had garlick or onions round ther necks and playing the accordian with a moustache :p and maybe a baguette thrown in

:lol: I know about that!! And you forgot that all French drink wine and eat a lot of fat food with a lot of sauces. And oh, we're dumb nationalists when it comes to sport. We eat snails and frogs!!! :eek:

GlennMirnyi 10-16-2006 04:39 PM

People think all Brazilians love football and samba, are black or mulato and live in a jungle surrounded by monkeys.

sharpeirob 10-16-2006 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GlennMirnyi (Post 4286168)
People think all Brazilians love football and samba, are black or mulato and live in a jungle surrounded by monkeys.

I thought that :wavey:

I also think Brazilians dance to work and have sex on TV