MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com (http://www.menstennisforums.com/index.php)
-   Tennis Equipment (http://www.menstennisforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=597)
-   -   Buying a new racquet: did i get this right... (http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=87329)

Vass 10-02-2006 10:04 AM

Buying a new racquet: did i get this right...

People with slow swings should buy lighter racquets to have more power?
I have a pretty slow swing it seems and i had trouble hitting deep shots with my older racquet.

boka 10-06-2006 11:58 AM

Re: Buying a new racquet: did i get this right...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vass (Post 4208756)
I have a pretty slow swing it seems and i had trouble hitting deep shots with my older racquet.

If you hit a nail with a small hammer you have to hit it hard , and if you wanna hit it with a sledgehammer you don't need too much power.
Is that logical?
I have a lighter raquet now compared to my older one and even doe I'm much stronger now as i used to be ( and I know that technique:confused: is way more important) , the ball coming from the racquet doesn't seem to have the same speed as before.
I hope I'm making sence , I'm struggling with my English.And if I am mistaking hopefuly someone will correct me.

GlennMirnyi 10-10-2006 02:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vass (Post 4208756)

Yeah. Lighter frames generate more power, or, in a point of view of Physics, they absorb less the energy of the impact. That makes the ball "rebound" from the racket faster, but the lighter frame, as it's unable to absorb the energy, makes your arm take the impact, generating injuries.

The fact is that "lighter" frames have the weight dislocated to the racket head, and that's what generates more power. Balanced and "head light" (weight in the handle) rackets feel more natural and protect your arm. I wouldn't recommend using a very light racket. Unless you hardly play.

GlennMirnyi 10-10-2006 02:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boka (Post 4231006)
If you hit a nail with a small hammer you have to hit it hard , and if you wanna hit it with a sledgehammer you don't need too much power.
Is that logical?
I have a lighter raquet now compared to my older one and even doe I'm much stronger now as i used to be ( and I know that technique:confused: is way more important) , the ball coming from the racquet doesn't seem to have the same speed as before.
I hope I'm making sence , I'm struggling with my English.And if I am mistaking hopefuly someone will correct me.

Not exactly the weight, but its distribution.

boka 10-10-2006 06:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GlennMirnyi (Post 4249413)
Not exactly the weight, but its distribution.

Yap you're right , Vass listen to this guy, he knows what he is talking about.
And my arm is killing me from yesterdays match.:eek:

ProStaff 10-17-2006 01:11 AM

These racket characteristics will generally provide more power:
Larger head, stiffer frame, lighter weight with head heavy balance.

While the opposite will generally provide more control:
Smaller head, flexible frame, heavier weight with head light balance.