MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com (http://www.menstennisforums.com/index.php)
-   General Player Talk (http://www.menstennisforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=596)
-   -   Switch to a One handed back hand? (http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=86235)

bank5 09-16-2006 01:12 AM

Switch to a One handed back hand?

Ive been playing consistantly for about a year and half and am not thrilled with my two handed backhand. I hit it consistantly but not very deep and get few winners from it. Im thinking about switching to a one handed backhand because I think it will be more of a weapon.

Does anyone have any advice on switching? Are they any good free tennis websites with the proper strokes for a one-hander?

buliwyf 09-16-2006 04:17 AM

Re: Switch to a One handed back hand?

I doubt you will get many more winners with a one hand, I think if you have the two hand down you should stick with it.

jmsx521 09-17-2006 03:04 AM

You've got to consider if your racket fits in the change as well. Bigger head rackets are for two-handers, smaller head rackets are for one handers. I wouldn't try to hid one-handers with a racket over 102-3 sq.in. head size.

flmmkrz 09-19-2006 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bank5
Ive been playing consistantly for about a year and half and am not thrilled with my two handed backhand. I hit it consistantly but not very deep and get few winners from it. Im thinking about switching to a one handed backhand because I think it will be more of a weapon.

Does anyone have any advice on switching? Are they any good free tennis websites with the proper strokes for a one-hander?

Switching is gonna be a bitch and if you've already got a consistant 2 hander what you might want to consider is taking a private lesson if you haven't already. A simple adjustment from hand position to take back to follow thru path to contact point etc could be all thats required to give your 2 hander more pop but without seeing it first hand its tough to know what may be causing you to lose depth and power. An instructor should be able to pick up on whats causing you to lose both and give you enough feedback that you can use to make it a weapon instead of starting from scratch.

Ibeat_rgrfederer 09-22-2006 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bank5

I switched too, the key is to keep it simple until your deadly with it, then perfect the stroke. By this I mean, just start with the racquet at waist level and swing like your pulling a sword out. Don't copy federer until your good and ready.

jole 09-23-2006 01:18 AM

I think the biggest problem with a lot of people's one-handers is they don't use an extreme enough grip because it feels so awkward at the beginning. If you're far enough over you can really roll over the ball nicely.