MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com (http://www.menstennisforums.com/index.php)
-   Pete Sampras Message Board (http://www.menstennisforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=49)
-   -   Pete Sampras Tennis Match October 29 to benefit LSU Med Student relief efforts. (http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=83764)

angiel 08-16-2006 08:30 PM

Pete Sampras Tennis Match October 29 to benefit LSU Med Student relief efforts.

Aug 16, 2006

Pete Sampras tennis match October 29
to benefit LSU Med Student relief efforts

Baton Rouge – The Irene W. and C.B. Pennington Foundation has announced plans to sponsor an exhibition tennis match between Pete Sampras and Todd Martin, October 29, 2006 at the Pete Maravich Assembly Center to help alleviate the financial challenges facing LSU Health Sciences Center students.

Billed as “Duel Under the Oaks”, the exhibition match and other complementing events, are being presented in cooperation with the LSU Foundation, the Tiger Athletic Foundation and the LSU Department of Athletics. Paula Pennington de la Bretonne, of the Pennington Family Foundation, is organizing the match to assist the thousands of students who were victims of either Hurricane Katrina or Rita. 100% of proceeds derived from the event will go the LSU Health Sciences Center – Student Relief Fund.

Pete Sampras became the youngest man to win the U.S. Open in 1990 when he was 19 years old. He has won seven Wimbledons, five U.S. Opens and two Australian Opens throughout his career. In 2001, Sampras won his 9th ESPY award, the ESPY award for Male Tennis Performer of the year and Record Breaking Performance of the Year. He finished his career defeating Andre Agassi in the 2002 U.S. Open to claim his 14th Grand Slam Title.

Todd Martin was a finalist at the 1999 U.S. Open and the 1994 Australian Open. He reached the semifinals at Wimbledon, the U.S. Open and the Grand Slam Cup in 1994. Martin played the Davis Cup for the United States every year between 1994 and 2002. He was twice recognized, by his peers, with the Tour Sportsmanship Award due to his abiding respect for the sport and his fellow competitors.

Sampras and Martin partnered at the Davis Cup in the United States in 1995 to win the doubles title. They competed in the 2001 Australian Open, with Martin beating Sampras in the fourth round.

The “Duel Under the Oaks” activities begin at 9 am, Sunday, October 29th at a tennis clinic for youth, ages 7 – 17 on the LSU tennis courts on the Baton Rouge campus. At noon in the Pete Maravich Assembly Center (PMAC) there will be an LSU Tennis Team Exhibition, followed by a Celebrity Match (featuring Randy Jackson of American Idol fame). The Sampras/Martin exhibition follows at 2 pm.

Tickets are $25 & $20, with special $10 tickets available for students and children. Tickets may be purchased online at www.lsusports.net or by calling 800-960-8587 or 225-578-2184 or by visiting the LSU Athletic Ticket Office.
For more information visit www.dueloaks.com.

Sponsors include: Pennington Family Foundation, Stanford Private Wealth Management, The Advocate, WBRZ Channel 2, General Health Systems, Eagle 98.1 and Baton Rouge Printing.

angiel 08-16-2006 08:35 PM

Re: Pete Sampras Tennis Match October 29 to benefit LSU Med Student relief efforts.

Another Reminder

If you haven't purchased your tickets for the Pete Sampras/Todd Martin exhibition being held at the Pete Maravich Center on the LSU campus in Baton Rouge on October 29th, you'd better hurry. Many people I've spoken with have told me that they have their tickets. Don't wait or you'll miss a fun day watching two of the true gentlemen of the sport.

Greg-Pete fan 08-16-2006 08:48 PM

Re: Pete Sampras Tennis Match October 29 to benefit LSU Med Student relief efforts.

Quote:

Originally Posted by angiel
Another Reminder

If you haven't purchased your tickets for the Pete Sampras/Todd Martin exhibition being held at the Pete Maravich Center on the LSU campus in Baton Rouge on October 29th, you'd better hurry. Many people I've spoken with have told me that they have their tickets. Don't wait or you'll miss a fun day watching two of the true gentlemen of the sport.

Great news :worship: It`s good that Pete wants to play many tennis matches ;)

angiel 08-16-2006 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg-Pete fan
Great news :worship: It`s good that Pete wants to play many tennis matches ;)

I think so too Greg - cheers. :angel: :D :)

Greg-Pete fan 08-16-2006 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by angiel
I think so too Greg - cheers. :angel: :D :)

Pete should win against Todd Martin ;) I think he can do it ;) He played very well in his match against Courier, so.... :)

the_natural 08-20-2006 12:31 PM

Yep of course, and I wonder if he needs revenge for the loss at the Aussie Open in 01.

angiel 08-22-2006 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the_natural
Yep of course, and I wonder if he needs revenge for the loss at the Aussie Open in 01.

Maybe he will avenge that loss, but it should be a good match. :wavey: :worship: :worship: :D

angiel 08-24-2006 09:08 PM

The Tickets Are Gone

If you've been waiting to get tickets for the Sampras/Martin exhibition at the Pete Maravich Center on the LSU campus, you've waited too long. The event has been sold out. :wavey: :wavey:

the_natural 08-27-2006 11:54 AM

Thats good, I hope we get vidfeo or somethin, I just wanan see him play his old rivals

angiel 08-27-2006 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the_natural
Thats good, I hope we get vidfeo or somethin, I just wanan see him play his old rivals

Hope so too. :wavey: :wavey: :D :)

angiel 09-22-2006 10:00 PM

Duel Under the Oaks features Pete Sampras v. Todd Martin exhibition

8/31/06 3:21 PM

On October 29, 2006 Pete Sampras will play Todd Martin at the Pete Maravich Assembly Center in Baton Rouge, LA to benefit LSU Health Sciences Student Relief Efforts. The Irene W & C.B. Pennington Foundation is sponsoring the event which will include a youth tennis clinic, exhibition match and a celebrity tennis match. Paula Pennington de la Bretonne from the foundation is organizing the fundraiser which will donate all proceeds to LSU’s relief efforts.

The day will commence at 9 am with a youth tennis clinic for 7-17 year olds at the LSU tennis courts in Baton Rouge. At noon there will be an LSU Team Tennis Exhibition followed by a celebrity match between Baton Rouge natives Randy Jackson and Wes Brown. Randy Jackson is a judge on TV show American Idol. Wes Brown will be co-starring with Matthew McConaughey in We Are Marshall due out in December 2006. At 2 pm Sampras and Martin will compete in an exhibition match.

Sampras and Martin partnered at the Davis Cup in the United States in 1995 and won the doubles title. In 2001, they competed against each other in the 2001 Australian Open and Martin won in the fourth round.

Sampras is the youngest man to win the US Open in 1990 at the age of 19. He has also won seven Wimbledons, five US Opens, and two Australian Opens. In 2001, Sampras won his ninth ESPY, the ESPY award for Male Tennis Performer of the Year and Record Breaking Performance of the Year. The accomplished player finished his career at the 2002 US Open by defeating Andre Agassi and claiming his 14th Grand Slam Title.

Martin was a finalist in the 1999 US Open and the 1994 Australian Open. He reached the semis at Wimbledon, the US Open, and the Grand Slam Cup in 1994. Martin played Davis Cup for the US every year from 1994-2002. He is a two-time recipient of the ATP Tour Sportsmanship Award.

Other major sponsors include: Stanford Financial Group, The Advocate, WBRZ-TV2, Eagle 98.1, and the General Health System.

To purchase tickets, please visit www.lsusports.net or call 800-960-8587 or 225-578-2184 or the LSU Athletic Ticket Office.

Greg-Pete fan 09-30-2006 10:00 AM

http://www.atptennis.com/3/en/player...Martin%2C+Todd

Sampras leads 18-4:worship:

angiel 10-02-2006 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg-Pete fan (Post 4199098)

Wide lead, I saw Martin playing on the senior tour on TV last week, with Courier.:D :wavey: :)

Maxpowers 10-02-2006 01:44 PM

Any news about TV or internet coverage? I enjoyed watching Sampras play Ginepri online. It would be great if they televised this.

angiel 10-03-2006 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maxpowers (Post 4209515)
Any news about TV or internet coverage? I enjoyed watching Sampras play Ginepri online. It would be great if they televised this.

I dont think there will be any this time, sorry.:D :) :wavey: