MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com (http://www.menstennisforums.com/index.php)
-   General Messages (http://www.menstennisforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Commentary at its finest (http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=80143)

its.like.that 06-29-2006 04:05 PM

Commentary at its finest

Post any noteworthy pieces of commentary that you wish to share.

Action Jackson 06-29-2006 04:10 PM

Re: Commentary at its best

Fred Stolle on the Ferrero vs Vicente match.

"This was a good win by Ferrero the veteran over the youngster Vicente". Fred, Vicente is a bit older than JCF.

its.like.that 06-29-2006 04:11 PM

During the Nadal-Kendrick match, Aussie commentator Fred Stolle came up with several pearlers.

(towards the end of the 3rd set)
"the crowd is getting right behind this youngster from the USA."

I guess age is a relative concept - Kendrick turns 27 in a few months, while Nadal turned 20 only a few weeks ago. Not that Kendrick is a veteran, but he is certainly no youngster.

(while Kendrick was serving at 3-5 in the 5th set)
"Kendrick would love to hold serve here"

:bigclap:

(just prior to Nadal serving for the match)
"during that change of ends, Nadal ate a banana. If you recall back to the French Open, during the 5th set in his match against Paul-Henri Mathieu, he got a piece of banana stuck in his throat and had to take an injury timeout to wash it down with some water"

First of all, thanks for the story Fred, secondly, there was no 5th set.

its.like.that 06-29-2006 04:16 PM

during the Molik v Srebotnik match, it was John Newcombe's turn.

After Srebotnik held to take a 6-2 2-1*, lead, Newcombe said:

"Srebotnik holds serve to hang in there in this 2nd set"

Molik went on to lose every subsequent game.

scoobs 06-29-2006 04:17 PM

Wow - Fred's a bit fast and loose with the facts, isn't he...

Action Jackson 06-29-2006 04:19 PM

During a US Open match with Hewitt.

Newcombe said:

"Come on mate we need to focus here and get a break". Newk it was not Davis Cup.

its.like.that 06-29-2006 04:21 PM

During the Tennis Masters Cup in Shanghai 2005, Fred Stolle was also in red hot form:

"Croatia has a very strong group of players at the moment, with Ljubicic and Ancic representing Croatia against Slovakia in the Davis Cup final next week. And of course there is also the up and coming Tomas Berdych, who took out the Paris Indoors a few weeks ago, who could consider himself very unlucky not to be included in the squad."

jole 06-29-2006 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GeorgeWHitler
Fred Stolle on the Ferrero vs Vicente match.

"This was a good win by Ferrero the veteran over the youngster Vicente". Fred, Vicente is a bit older than JCF.

Vamos Freddie Stolle. :D

jole 06-29-2006 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by its.like.that
During the Tennis Masters Cup in Shanghai 2005, Fred Stolle was also in red hot form:

"Croatia has a very strong group of players at the moment, with Ljubicic and Ancic representing Croatia against Slovakia in the Davis Cup final next week. And of course there is also the up and coming Tomas Berdych, who took out the Paris Indoors a few weeks ago, who could consider himself very unlucky not to be included in the squad."

Freddie = En Fuego. :hearts: :kiss: :drool:

revolution 06-29-2006 04:27 PM

Chris Bailey (BBC) during Kendrick-Nadal said that this was Rafa's 5th main tour match on grass, when we all know it wasn't.

its.like.that 06-29-2006 04:32 PM

Following the Nadal v Kendrick match, Fred picked up where he left off, in regards to 5 setters that Nadal has played:

"that's only the second five set match Nadal has won"

Just off the top of my head, I can recall Nadal beating Federer in Roma 2006, Youzhny at the AO 2005, Ljubicic in Madrid 2005, Coria in Roma 2005... and I guess Fred has forgotten about Nadal's 5 set win against PHM at Roland Garros 2006. :lol:

Saumon 06-29-2006 04:37 PM

Quote:

:spit: :haha: :retard:

Saumon 06-29-2006 04:37 PM

Quote:

Following the Nadal v Kendrick match, Fred picked up where he left off, in regards to 5 setters that Nadal has played:

"that's only the second five set match Nadal has won"

Just off the top of my head, I can recall Nadal beating Federer in Roma 2006, Youzhny at the AO 2005, Ljubicic in Madrid 2005, Coria in Roma 2005... and I guess Fred has forgotten about Nadal's 5 set win against PHM at Roland Garros 2006. :lol:

:rolls: :rolls:

Fumus 06-29-2006 04:42 PM

Cliff Drysdale makes these guys look like John Barret, I don't even have to quote Cliff because he routinely mis-speaks, and says the stupidest stuff.

"Nadal won Doha earlier this year, where he beat Federer for only the second time" - Cliff (during Nadals first match at wimbly this year) ...don't you mean Dubai, and the third time?

Mary Carillo isn't immune to misspeaking either

"David Ferrer is a tough guy, he beat defending champion Rafa Nadal last year in Paris"
- Mary Carillo (durning Ferrer's match against Roddick at Miami). I am sorry Mary what? Don't you mean Gaudio.

wipeout 06-29-2006 04:52 PM

BBC commentators on Safin match saying Marat learning it's tough being low-ranked and unseeded after being top-ranked star. :rolleyes:

Obviously everyone starts low-ranked so know it's tough already but Marat got injured and ended up low ranked before in 2003! And it was also around #90 as well.