MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com (http://www.menstennisforums.com/index.php)
-   Gaston Gaudio Message Board (http://www.menstennisforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=233)
-   -   Gaston's Tennis. The highs, the lows, the on court rantings etc, etc (http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=78275)

Action Jackson 06-05-2006 11:02 AM

Gaston's Tennis. The highs, the lows, the on court rantings etc, etc

Yes, the title is fairly clear, but this doesn't mean that it won't have the potential to confuse some people.

Now the major part of the year is over for Gaston as this is what his whole year is geared around doing well at Roland Garros and the other goal he wants to have is playing some part in a winning Davis Cup team, but that one is a bit problematic at the moment.

He equalled his 2005 result and on the face of what went on before this in the lead up events, this was not a bad performance and lost to a good opponent in Davydenko. In spite of this there were some curious happenings. He defeats Ferrero which he hasn't done on clay for a very long time and did it coming back from breaks down in first 2 sets. Then he loses to PMK who hasn't even come close to getting sets of him the 5 times they have played on clay. From where we was before RG, the 4th round is a good show.

Considering he was feeling so bad during this time of the year, which is his favourite part of the season and he has said that he is mentally tired as he has not had a break for 2 seasons, then it would be silly for him to play Wimbledon.

Why? Well he hasn't been winning matches on clay and he needs to play a lot, so how is he going to win them on grass a surface he hates and also it takes away from the summer clay events which he needs to play very well again at, just to maintain some sort of ranking.

Playing Wimbledon in fact would jeopardise this and he does need the time to prepare some more physically as he will be playing 3 weeks in a row in Gstaad, Stuttgart and Kitz and also mentally as to see what he really wants to do tennis wise. Then stick to that path and don't moan how tough it is, when he has an understanding coach, very good physical trainer, beautiful girlfriend and loving family. As for pressure, it's not like Gaston needs to do it for the money at this point of his career and he should be playing for the right reasons.

He has never done well at the US Open, so take what he can get from there. The Davis Cup is the thing that would keep him going after the US Open, but they have done well without him so far and while he may play a role in the semi final against the Aussies. It is not likely that he would be used in the final unless there were plenty of injuries and there are plenty of other players more capable than Gaston on a fast carpet surface.

All in all, it would be far from tragic if Gaston missed Shanghai and if he doesn't perform well in the summer clay section defending 2 titles and a final in those 3 tournaments, then he can forget about it anyway.

He should stay home, go play golf, hang in a cafe or something, watch Argentina in the World Cup and forget about Wimbledon.

As for what happens after the US Open this could be interesting, if he is no chance for the Masters, then just play a few events like Hewitt did and try and win the DC, then again this is dependant on whether he is a chance to be selected or not.

RogiFan88 06-13-2006 12:48 AM

Re: Gaston Don't Bother With Wimbledon. The rest of 2006 season discussion thread

Hope Gaston does play Gstaad, as he is the defending champ, so he can get back into the clay and then go and win Stuttgart with his beautiful BH. ;)

Kitz is still around, eh? OK, he can play there also but don't get tired out before Toronto. ;)

Action Jackson 06-13-2006 05:43 AM

Re: Gaston Don't Bother With Wimbledon. The rest of 2006 season discussion thread

This is the last year for Kitz, before mafioso Tiriac moves the event somewhere else.

Gaston will be playing in Gstaad, unless he has an injury problem.

RogiFan88 06-15-2006 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GeorgeWHitler
This is the last year for Kitz, before mafioso Tiriac moves the event somewhere else.

Gaston will be playing in Gstaad, unless he has an injury problem.

You mean like Transylvania? :p

Action Jackson 08-03-2006 06:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RogiFan88
You mean like Transylvania? :p

There are rumours that the event could be saved, then again we don't know until next year.

Gaston is going through some tough times at the moment and he knows this. In reality he is there in body but not necessarily spirit and that is not going to get it done and he is cheating himself, if he thinks otherwise and that is the most important thing.

Sure he will play Toronto, Cincy and the US Open and he does have points to defend from Canada last year, but that isn't really relevant at the moment. His opponent yesterday Marach noticed it that he is down and once the other players sense that, then it becomes harder for Gaston as well as they know he is vulnerable and can break him and Gaston himself isn't happy at all.

He says he hasn't had a break in 2 years and that is accurate, but after the US Open would be a good time to take one and find out what he really wants to do and get away from tennis. He might realise that he loves playing the game and will come back and train hard over the off season and be ready to play or he might not.

Primal 08-03-2006 10:06 AM

Quote:

There are rumours that the event could be saved, then again we don't know until next year.

Gaston is going through some tough times at the moment and he knows this. In reality he is there in body but not necessarily spirit and that is not going to get it done and he is cheating himself, if he thinks otherwise and that is the most important thing.

Sure he will play Toronto, Cincy and the US Open and he does have points to defend from Canada last year, but that isn't really relevant at the moment. His opponent yesterday Marach noticed it that he is down and once the other players sense that, then it becomes harder for Gaston as well as they know he is vulnerable and can break him and Gaston himself isn't happy at all.

He says he hasn't had a break in 2 years and that is accurate, but after the US Open would be a good time to take one and find out what he really wants to do and get away from tennis.

Logical but disappointing post (hard too see him away from tennis). I don't know much about his private life and don't see him doing anything else. Do you have any ideas about hobbies or preferences?

Quote:

He might realise that he loves playing the game and will come back and train hard over the off season and be ready to play or he might not.

The only thing is that the break should be short. He might realize that he loves playing when it's too late. (that happens quite often)

Action Jackson 08-03-2006 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Primal
Logical but disappointing post (hard too see him away from tennis). I don't know much about his private life and don't see him doing anything else. Do you have any ideas about hobbies or preferences?

He is even fortunate to be playing at this level, thanks to generous people like Gumy who lent him some money in the early days and his loving family doing what they could to support his initial career. He can't keep playing forever and will have to make these choices at some point.

Quote:

The only thing is that the break should be short. He might realize that he loves playing when it's too late. (that happens quite often)
He doesn't do well after the US Open usually and Davis Cup is the only thing for him now to the end of the year and in reality he does not deserve to be there and at best as the 4th player. He has no right to be in front of Nalbandian, Acasuso or Calleri on form, not doubting that he wants to be part of the team, but he isn't good enough to be there.

Fortunately he has not had major injuries in his career, but he has been stale and this has clearly shown in his performances for much of the year so far.

Primal 08-03-2006 10:50 AM

Quote:

He can't keep playing forever and will have to make these choices at some point.

No one can, unless you are Navratilova.

Quote:

He doesn't do well after the US Open usually and Davis Cup is the only thing for him now to the end of the year and in reality he does not deserve to be there and at best as the 4th player. He has no right to be in front of Nalbandian, Acasuso or Calleri on form, not doubting that he wants to be part of the team, but he isn't good enough to be there.

Fortunately he has not had major injuries in his career, but he has been stale and this has clearly shown in his performances for much of the year so far.

Agree, I just wanted to say that I wish I could watch him playing
as much as he can perform.
(the lack of motivation and stuff... He reminds me of myself at some points. And I know how hard it is tennis wise, but you have to make the right decision.)

In other words I want to see him happy (preferably on court, but I will not be that selfish).
He has achieved a lot already though.

Action Jackson 08-03-2006 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Primal
Agree, I just wanted to say that I wish I could watch him playing
as much as he can perform.
(the lack of motivation and stuff... He reminds me of myself at some points. And I know how hard it tennis wise, but you have to make the right decision.)

In other words I want to see him happy (preferably on court, but I will not be that selfish).
He has achieved a lot already though.

Well he has his bad moments and he has hardly performed to he level he is capable of consistently. But that is the way he is and he lacks self-belief and something he has to struggle with, the world is not going to end if he misses the centre of the strings by .000000000000000000000000001 of a mm.

That is selfish actually, he needs to think about why he is playing for now. He keeps mentioning he hasn't had a break well he is not making the Masters this year, so there is nothing to worry about in that respect and if he is good enough, then he will be able to bounce back.

justClaudia 08-03-2006 01:31 PM

Quote:

He says he hasn't had a break in 2 years and that is accurate, but after the US Open would be a good time to take one and find out what he really wants to do and get away from tennis. He might realise that he loves playing the game and will come back and train hard over the off season and be ready to play or he might not.

I totally agree with this.

He needs to step back, find his priorities and mostly get his head together. Basically I think he needs to find again his passion for Tennis, if is Tennis that he still wants, and I surely hope so.

I think Gaston needs to find some peace of mind, cause it seems to me that he lost it somewhere.

And yesterday's match was just heartbreaking.

I hope he is able to find himself again, cause I really miss a Gaston at 100%.

Action Jackson 08-03-2006 01:39 PM

Re: Time to take a break after the US Open discussion thread

2005 was very difficult for him and he managed to make Shanghai and defended his 2004 season very well and this was on the back of relatively poor results in the big 4 clay events, but this year his form hasn't been anywhere apart from a glimpse at Monte Carlo.

He is not like Borg or other guys who can hold it together outwardly and not show what he is thinking. But it is clear to see he is pissed off with how he is playing, mentally frazzled and his opponents see it as well, making the problem worse.

He can go watch Independiente, play golf or something, just take his mind away from tennis and there is that possibility that he might enjoy that too much and not come back, but he is the one who has to live with that decision.

justClaudia 08-03-2006 01:50 PM

Quote:

He is not like Borg or other guys who can hold it together outwardly and not show what he is thinking. But it is clear to see he is pissed off with how he is playing, mentally frazzled and his opponents see it as well, making the problem worse.

He can go watch Independiente, play golf or something, just take his mind away from tennis and there is that possibility that he might enjoy that too much and not come back, but he is the one who has to live with that decision.

And yesterday, Marach took advantage by knowing that, that's why it was heartbreaking to me.

He can do that, he can even stay in bed and sleep all day. But something has to be done, and only him has the power to do it. In the end, it's only his decision, and we can only accept it.

Let's see what he chooses to do.

Action Jackson 08-03-2006 01:52 PM

Most of the other players notice these things and Marach said "he has been down for some weeks and I thought if I fought hard, I'd be in with a chance". That is to be expected.

RogiFan88 08-03-2006 01:56 PM

Well, I hope Gaston does come to TO. All he can do is his best, no matter what the results. And yes, I agree he needs a break. All this touring and training and hotels can get to any player. I can totally understand his frustration. He wants to play well, his beautiful tennis but it doesn't always happen. I'll always support him no matter what -- I don't mind when he smashes his racquet or gets angry -- it shows he cares!

If he does take some extended break, we're the ones to lose out by not seeing him play but he will gain.

Do what you feel is right for you, Gaston! ;)

justClaudia 08-03-2006 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RogiFan88
If he does take some extended break, we're the ones to lose out by not seeing him play but he will gain.

Do what you feel is right for you, Gaston! ;)

:yeah: