MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com (http://www.menstennisforums.com/index.php)
-   Tennis Equipment (http://www.menstennisforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=597)
-   -   How long should strings last? (http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=75400)

Maxpowers 04-18-2006 09:37 PM

How long should strings last?

I have 4 Prince Air DBs and I get them strung at 60 lbs with synthetic gut. My strings break after 3 days, which seems very quick. I've took my rackets over to another place and the same thing happened. Are all of these stringers making so they break quickly or is this normal?

El Legenda 04-18-2006 09:43 PM

Re: How long should strings last?

well if a person plays once a year, im sure they can last for years :lol:
all depends on playing time.

AgassiDomination 04-18-2006 09:45 PM

How much spin do you put on the ball? Just use weed-whacker string for your racket. :p

madmanfool 04-18-2006 09:51 PM

I use poly force since a few years. I still brake them, but a lot less than in the past(my record is within 5 hours:)) If you don't like to play with something stiff i don't advice them but else there very good.

Hank777 04-18-2006 09:55 PM

Well it depends on 2 factors really:

1) What type of string you use (and)
2) What tension you use them at.

Adding to:

1) If you use real gut strings, thin type, they'll be likely to snap sooner, than the other extreme, which are extremely thick strings (everlasting :p )

2) If you play with a heavy racket tension (control players usually do, as opposed to power players who want as much power from the tension as possible) they'll also be more likely to snap sooner; cuz they are tightly strung.

Basically a Factor 3) as mentioned already in this thread, is the amount of time you play of course. Once a year for regular tennis play is average I was told.

GOOD LUCK

stebs 04-18-2006 10:03 PM

Play with a brick. It will never break.

megadeth 04-18-2006 10:48 PM

maybe you play with too much spin. that thins out your strings sooner

Maxpowers 04-18-2006 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JerrySeinfeld
well if a person plays once a year, im sure they can last for years :lol:
all depends on playing time.

My mom eventually had to cut her strings cause they never broke, so I know they can last a while. What I'm wondering about is my situation, and whether or not my racket is being strung properly.

I play 5-6 times a week for 1.5 to 2 hrs at a time. As I mentioned already I'm using synthetic gut with a tension of 60 lbs. Is it normal for them to break after 3 days? I hit with my brother and he breaks the strings just as often. This gets to be very expensive and requires weekly trips to to pickup/drop off rackets, which is also a pain.

Is there a similar string that won't break as often? I tried a really thick string one time and I hated it.

megadeth 04-19-2006 01:07 AM

try kevlar and use a lesser tension like 55...?

anserq 04-19-2006 01:23 AM

Are you a high school student, MaxPowers?

megadeth 04-19-2006 01:30 AM

i used to have the same problem, and the costs we're really shitting me.

so believe it or not, i tried using the cheapest string - nylon and it lasted for a month. although i only play 3 times a week with each session lasting 3-4 hrs...

try using diff kinds of strings until you see which one lasts. or then consider getting a different racquet...

you last resort is to change your strokes (not recommendable though) ;)

Scotso 04-19-2006 01:57 AM

Mine last forever. I don't play a LOT though.

ys 04-19-2006 02:02 AM

3 days at 60lb and gone? Hard to believe. Check your racket, check that all grommets are still in place, check that it does not have any sharp edges because of cracks or anything..

adee-gee 06-12-2006 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maxpowers
I have 4 Prince Air DBs and I get them strung at 60 lbs with synthetic gut. My strings break after 3 days, which seems very quick. I've took my rackets over to another place and the same thing happened. Are all of these stringers making so they break quickly or is this normal?

I used to sting racquets so I know a fair bit about this....

Synthetic gut does break reasonably quickly, but I would say if they're breaking after 3 days that's not right. I would try 1 other place, my guess is it probably isn't being strung well.

Another possibility is that your game just isn't right for synthetic gut strings. Use strings which are slightly more durable, although the playability might not be quite so good. There isn't a huge difference though.

Hawkman 06-20-2006 04:53 AM

I change my strings (as often as I play weekly) about 2 to 3 times a year; and break them at least every 2 months (Do the math).

I hit hard. :rolleyes: