MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com (http://www.menstennisforums.com/index.php)
-   Richard Gasquet Message Board (http://www.menstennisforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=424)
-   -   What is said about Richard... (http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=69432)

*julie* 02-15-2006 05:03 AM

What is said about Richard...

I thought we could have a special thread with comments from players, coaches etc...on Richard. :)

I will start with Guy Forget's comments about Richard at the end of this DC week-end. It's from L'équipe:

GUY FORGET: « RICHARD, ÇA VA ÊTRE DU BEURRE EN COUPE DAVIS »

« Jean-Claude Massias (ex-DTN) m’avait déjà dit à l’époque : “Ce gars est fabuleux en rassemblement en équipes de jeunes. Il se régale.” Les mecs l’appelaient “le don du ciel” ou “le don de Dieu”, parce qu’ils se rendaient déjà compte que Richard était un Martien ! Tous les joueurs des Interclubs m’ont dit :“Il se défonce. Celui-là, quand il va arriver en Coupe Davis, ça va être du beurre.” Quand il est au fond du trou face à Haas, il joue décousu. Il est perdu parce qu’il veut en faire beaucoup trop face à un adversaire dont il se fait une montagne. Et il ne fait que des fautes. À la fin du set, je lui dis : “Richard, j’ai deux solutions à te proposer.” Et lui, tout de suite : “Quoi, quoi ?” “La première, tu ne donnes plus un point. D’accord, tu peux le faire ? Et entre les points, tu souffles et tu prends ton temps.” Il m’a dit “OK, OK”, et il est reparti. Après, seulement, j’ai demandé : “Pourquoi tu ne fais plus service-volée alors que tu fais neuf points sur dix ?” Lui : “T’as raison, faut que j’y aille.” Comme il a une technique fabuleuse, il arrive à faire tout, tout de suite. En tant que capitaine, c’est un truc génial ! En dehors du court, les gars l’adorent. Il est apprécié pour sa simplicité. Il n’a pas du tout la grosse tête. Il se fait chambrer, il rigole. »

Translation:

GUY FORGET: " WITH RICHARD, IT'S GONNA BE A PIECE OF CAKE."
"Jean Claude Massias (ex coach from the DTN, direction technique nationale) had already told me :" this guy is fabulous in the juniors'team meetings. He enjoyes himself." Guys were calling him "the godsend" because they were already aware that he was a Martian! All the players from the Interclubs told me: "He knocks himself out! When he will come in Davis Cup, it's gonna be a piece of cake." When he was in real troubles against Haas, he was playing disorganized/scattered. He was lost because he wanted to do too much against someone whom he was making a moutain out of. And he kept on making lots of faults. At the endof the first set, I said: "Richard, I have two solutions to propose you." and he immediately asked "What? What?". "The first one, you don't give him anymore points. Alright? Can you do it? And then, between the points, you breathe and take your time." He told me "OK. OK." And then, after that, I asked him "Why don't you do serve and volley while you make 9 points out of 10 with this?" Him: "You are right. I have to do this." Thanks to his great technique, he can achieve everything and do it immediately. As a captain, this is great! Off court, people love him. He is very appreciated for his simplicity. He is not big-headed. When the guys tease him, he laughs."

;)

silverwhite 02-15-2006 07:04 AM

Re: What is said about Richard...

Good idea, Julie! :yeah:

silverwhite 02-15-2006 07:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by *julie*
I thought we could have a special thread with comments from players, coaches etc...on Richard. :)

I will start with Guy Forget's comments about Richard at the end of this DC week-end. It's from L'équipe:

GUY FORGET: « RICHARD, ÇA VA ÊTRE DU BEURRE EN COUPE DAVIS »

« Jean-Claude Massias (ex-DTN) m’avait déjà dit à l’époque : “Ce gars est fabuleux en rassemblement en équipes de jeunes. Il se régale.” Les mecs l’appelaient “le don du ciel” ou “le don de Dieu”, parce qu’ils se rendaient déjà compte que Richard était un Martien ! Tous les joueurs des Interclubs m’ont dit :“Il se défonce. Celui-là, quand il va arriver en Coupe Davis, ça va être du beurre.” Quand il est au fond du trou face à Haas, il joue décousu. Il est perdu parce qu’il veut en faire beaucoup trop face à un adversaire dont il se fait une montagne. Et il ne fait que des fautes. À la fin du set, je lui dis : “Richard, j’ai deux solutions à te proposer.” Et lui, tout de suite : “Quoi, quoi ?” “La première, tu ne donnes plus un point. D’accord, tu peux le faire ? Et entre les points, tu souffles et tu prends ton temps.” Il m’a dit “OK, OK”, et il est reparti. Après, seulement, j’ai demandé : “Pourquoi tu ne fais plus service-volée alors que tu fais neuf points sur dix ?” Lui : “T’as raison, faut que j’y aille.” Comme il a une technique fabuleuse, il arrive à faire tout, tout de suite. En tant que capitaine, c’est un truc génial ! En dehors du court, les gars l’adorent. Il est apprécié pour sa simplicité. Il n’a pas du tout la grosse tête. Il se fait chambrer, il rigole. »

He's a very obedient boy. :rolls:

parissima 02-15-2006 07:58 AM

Well that's why Forget likes him so much :p

linus 02-15-2006 09:24 AM

OMG, what a lovely Guy :lol: i love his comments :)

linus 02-15-2006 09:37 AM

add a little from Marat Safin in 2005 when interviewed by French 'Tennis' magazine:

TM: A new generation is joining the men’s circuit, especially players born in 1986: Nadal, Gasquet, Monfils... what do you think about them?

MS: Nadal I know him, the others too. They are very good players. I think gasquet has had too much pressure on him. Everyone was waiting for him and observing. All those players have very different styles. But that’s not what matters. It’s the number of titles. Gasquet for instance, he has the game, but now he needs the results.

summer09 02-15-2006 11:11 AM

HALLE, Germany, Feb 10 (Reuters) - French Davis Cup captain Guy Forget predicted a dazzling future for Richard Gasquet after the 19-year-old rallied from a set down to beat in-form Tommy Haas on the German's own turf on Friday.
"To come back and win that match proves to me that he can be the best French player we've had in 50 years," Forget told reporters after his team seized a commanding 2-0 lead over Germany in their World Group first-round match.
"I've known for a long time how well Richard can play and to see him beat Tommy in five sets, and in Germany, I'm really happy and really proud of him."

...The stocky French teenager with the booming forehand is ranked 16th in the world. A former junior world number one and a keen rugby fan, his parents are tennis coaches.
Experts enthuse about Gasquet's talent but several have questioned whether he has the mental toughness to challenge the best.
It was the steadying influence of Forget that seemed to make the difference on Friday as he helped Gasquet close his ears to the baying home support.
"I could feel he was fragile at some stages and I was trying to make sure he stayed mentally positive, that's my role," Forget said.
"But it won't be long and he will not need anybody to be able to produce that kind of tennis."

stebs 02-15-2006 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by summer09

...The stocky French teenager with the booming forehand is ranked 16th in the world.

Booming forehand?? :confused: :rolleyes:

silverwhite 02-15-2006 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stebs
Booming forehand?? :confused: :rolleyes:

I'm not surprised about this misconception if the DC match was one of the only Richard matches the journalist watched. Like I was saying in another thread, Richard's FH was setting up most of the points in that match. His BH produced a few winners but wasn't as dominant as it usually is. :)

gogo_guga 02-15-2006 07:04 PM

stocky?!

Sweet4Richard 02-15-2006 09:15 PM

Great idea for a thread :yeah:
And some of this quotes/articles are great :)

From my old signature:
"I was trying to learn how to tie my shoes at 15." -Andy Roddick on Richard Gasquet

And, after beat Franco Squllari at Monte Carlo at age 15, Tim Henman said "I was telling Paul Haarhuis that he[Squallari] is old enough to be his dad."

*julie* 02-28-2006 04:23 AM

Thanks for all your contributions to this thread. :)

Here are some other ones:

Marat Safin again:

? “ Q. Most people seem to be tipping Nadal, but you've seen Gasquet at Monte?Carlo. What can you see in his game that's so special?

MARAT SAFIN: He's typical French player. He has beautiful technique, good serve. He can do everything. He can volley. He can play on the baseline.
And Nadal is little bit ?? he's incredible player from the baseline. Doesn't miss one ball. He fights every single point. He doesn't have any huge weapons, but he is there all the time, he is consistent, he is fighting and he gonna be there forever.

*julie* 02-28-2006 04:24 AM

Richard Gasquet
By Angelique Winogradsky
(from Deuce Magazine)
(Angelique Winogradsly, wife of gasquet's former coach Eric Winogtadsly, talks up the 18-year-old, who in 2002 won his first atp match at 15 years,10 months.)

I know Richard because my husband was his coach for nearly two years. He's kind, very shy ,but when you know him, he's funny.he likes to joke around. He's got so much talent, he's a genius on the tennis court.

It's sure that he's had a lot of pressure from a very young age and it's always been a distraction. But he has never become pretentious; He's always remained reserved and taken success with a lot of humility. From that point of view, he's remarkable.

He dose feel the expectations, though, and it's not always easy for him when you go on the court with that in the back of your mind. He's got so much talent that one day soon he'll make his mark on the atp circuit. It's a question of maturity. Maybe he's not quite ready yet. We must remember that he's still only 18 and is already ranked in the top 150.

*julie* 02-28-2006 04:24 AM

Ljubicic :mad: after his loss against Gasquet at the USO 2005

"He's a little weird," Ljubicic, seeded 18th, said after his 3-6, 7-6 (6), 6-7 (7), 6-3, 6-2 loss. "He can play great or he can play horrible. He's spoiled. I think he'll grow as a person, but right now, he's a kid and he's acting as a kid."

*julie* 02-28-2006 04:38 AM

Interview of Ljubicic again from Tennis Magazine (november 2005)

TM: Le tennis français a la chance d'avoir deux jeunes champions en devenir que vous avez récemment affrontés: Richard Gasquet et Gaël Monfils. Lequel vous impressionne le plus?
IL: Sur le plan du tennis, RIchard est le plus talentueux. Mais d'un point de vue professionnel, je dirais que Gaël est plus mûr, plus dans son sujet. On voit clairement que Richard a encore besoin de trouver un équilibre, ce qui est normal à un si jeune âge. Une chose est sûre: tous les deux seront bientôt parmi les tout meilleurs.

TM: Vous aviez été très sévère au sujet de Richard après votre défaite contre lui à l'US Open en déclarant notamment qu'il s'était comporté sur le court, je vous cite, "comme un enfant gâté"...
IL: Au début du match, il pleurait pratiquement sur le court parce que son coude avait l'air de lui faire si mal. Il s'est comporté comme l'enfant qu'il demeure. Il a besoin de grandir. Je ne conteste pas le fait qu'il était vraiment blessé, mais j'ai toujours considéré que ce qui compte le plus sur le court, c'est le respect que vous montrez envers votre adversaire. C'est un sport de gentlemen. Et beaucoup de jeunes joueurs semblent parfois l'oublier.

Translation (credit to Silverwhite)
TM: French tennis is fortunate to have 2 young champions in the making whom you have recently played against: Richard Gasquet and Gael Monfils. Which one impressed you more?
IL: Tennis-wise, Richard is more talented, but from a professional standpoint, I would say that Gael is more mature, more in his element. It is clear that Richard still has to find an equilibrium, which is normal for one so young. One thing is sure: both of them will soon be among the very best.

TM: You were very severe on the subject of Richard after your defeat against him at the US Open, declaring notably that he behaved on the court, I quote you, "like a spoilt child"...
IL: At the start of the match, he was almost crying on court because his elbow seemed to be be bothering him. He behaved like the child that he is. He needs to grow up. I do not doubt that he was really injured, but I still think that the most important thing is to show respect to your opponent on court. We are a sport of gentlemen, and a lot of young players seem to forget this sometimes.

:o