MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com (http://www.menstennisforums.com/index.php)
-   Andy Roddick Message Board (http://www.menstennisforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=70)
-   -   Good effort anyway, Andy. FIND YOUR CONFIDENCE SOON! (SAP Open thread) (http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=66988)

tangerine_dream 01-25-2006 04:12 PM

Good effort anyway, Andy. FIND YOUR CONFIDENCE SOON! (SAP Open thread)

OK, I'm done bitching about Andy's crapout at the AO. Moving on to greener pastures now. The SAP Open starts soon, yay! :banana:

Wishing Andy good luck in defending his title for a record third year in a row.

http://www.sapopentennis.com/

tangerine_dream 01-25-2006 04:19 PM

Re: Moving forward! Singing a new tune in San Jose! (SAP Open thread)

FYI, Lleyton Hewitt will be attending San Jose this year. Nyah! :devil:

Quote:

Hewitt vs. Roddick Has The Makings Of A Classic Rivalry
January 3, 2006
by Matthew Cronin

Heated rivalries in the deep world of men’s tennis are hard to come by, but the 2006 SAP Open’s two highest ranked players – former champions Andy Roddick and Lleyton Hewitt – are developing a fierce one.

"The last three or four times we've played, we've both been at the top of the game and we've had some extremely tight matches,” said Hewitt. "He's a tough player to play any time."

Hewitt owns a 6-2 lifetime edge over Roddick but almost all of their matches have been tight, well played affairs, including their first primetime match up in New York, a 6-7, 6-3, 6-4, 3-6, 6-4 victory for the Australian at the 2001 US Open.

Since then, the two have gone neck and neck with Roddick attempting to impose his big serve, big forehand game against Hewitt’s precise counterpunching. Both blondes are intense, animated players and in a normal Hewitt-Roddick match up, two-dozen fist pumps aren’t unusual.

In 2005, they played three terrific semifinals, with Hewitt snaring a 3-6, 7-6, 7-6, 6-1 decision from Roddick in the Australian Open, and a 7-6, 6-7, 7-6 victory at the Pacific Life Open. Roddick then took a 6-4, 7-6 decision at TMS Cincinnati. Amazingly, six of the eight sets they played went to tiebreakers.

"We've had a lot of close matches and I haven't come out on the better end of them, which is, a little rare for me,” Roddick said. "But I want to get another crack at these guys. The only way that I'm gonna beat them is by playing them and putting myself in position enough times. It's the same thing with Roger [Federer]. They asked after Wimbledon, 'Would you want to play him again?' I said, 'I'll play him until I'm 1-31 against him.' I still want the opportunity. I want to go in there."

Roddick ended 2005 ranked No. 3 and Hewitt was right behind him at No. 4. Their contests certainly have been nail biters - but headed into the SAP Open, it’s clear that Hewitt has been a bit more mentally tougher, something Roddick would like to change.

"Lleyton's tough," Roddick said. "He's up there. I think once you get to that level of mental toughness, it's tough to decipher [who’s the mentally toughest]. But, he's definitely up there, no question."

Two-time Grand Slam champion Hewitt has made a living out of gutting out matches. In the past five years, only one man has eclipsed him physically, technically and mentally and that’s Federer, who has lapped the field. The 23-year-old Roddick has consistently pushed the 24-year-old Hewitt, but as the American has improved, so has the Aussie, who knows that he has to bring something new to the table every year if he’s going to stay in the top five.

Last year, Hewitt improved his forehand, which made it even tougher on Roddick to find a hole.

"He hits it great selectively," Roddick said. "The thing is, he's learned how to hit it in all corners, whereas before he definitely had his tendency in the one that he went to a lot. The same with the serve. He's mixing it up a lot more, keeping people off balance. I feel like a lot of people kind of caught up to him and maybe passed him. Now he's closed the gap and figured out new ways to win."

Hewitt knows that when he faces Roddick he has to do what he does best – return serve. With the world’s fastest first serve and a huge kick second serve, Roddick is nearly unbreakable, so the Aussie has to be patient and hope his foe has a down service game.

"Andy has one of the biggest - if not the biggest out there," Hewitt said. "But you go out there with the mindset that he's going to hit a lot of aces, he's going to hit a lot of unreturnable serves, and you got to really focus on your game and take your opportunities when they come because against guys like that you're not going to get as many opportunities as maybe playing some other top stars or players out there. So you really got to take your chances."

For Roddick, the main challenge is beating Hewitt is not to try to overly aggressive, but also not to get into two many backhand crosscourt rallies where Hewitt simply tires him out. Controlled aggression against Hewitt is key and Roddick is still attempting to figure out what his proper patterns are.

"He makes you think about how to construct points, how to win points, and he makes you win points," Roddick said. "I don't know if I've ever seen anybody wear Lleyton down physically, especially in a two out of three set match. But I think force of a shot, I have to use that against him because that's one advantage I do have over him. If you're talking about a long grind of a match, I don't see that affecting him. He'll stay out there for days. But if you're talking about weight of shot, height of shot, I definitely have to try to bully him a little bit."

Part of Roddick’s attempts to bully Hewitt involve more net approaches – not usually off his serve, but coming off short balls. Hewitt passes beautifully but he can be handcuffed with the right approach shots. When Roddick bested Hewitt in Cincinnati, he climbed all over the cords at key moments.

Should the two face each other in the 2006 SAP Open final, Roddick will again have to intelligently press the action, or he may end up looking up at a 2-7 record against his gritty foe.

"There's guys who are consistent, but then there's guys who are consistent when running across the court as fast as they can, tracking down a ball that you've hit as hard as you can, putting it back in play in an effective position," Roddick said. "As far as people rallying cross-court, there are a lot of guys who can do it all day, but they're not as quick as Lleyton and they don't play defense like he does."

"I told you to stop making me giggle when our picture's being taken."

Winston's Human 01-25-2006 04:22 PM

The question is "Will Andy know the winning way in San Jose?"

Deboogle!. 01-25-2006 04:33 PM

Tangy, don't forget DC is first:p. Don't worry, the five of us are gonna stage an intervention there so he'll be fine for San Jose :haha: :lol: :rolls: :devil:

acoffeygirl 01-25-2006 04:37 PM

You better believe we are. My friend that went to DC with me last year said that she would have bail money should we...uh....get into a little trouble staging our intervention! :lol:

Deboogle!. 01-25-2006 04:38 PM

How about a poster that says "Hey Andy, time for a sports shrink!"

:p

acoffeygirl 01-25-2006 04:42 PM

Ohhhh...I like that! :)

blosson 01-25-2006 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deb.

Do it. However it can disctract him and with his little current confidence/ sensitivity he might lose to Hanescu. So maybe not.

blosson 01-25-2006 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tangerine_dream
FYI, Lleyton Hewitt will be attending San Jose this year. Nyah! :devil:

Cool. Two players who need to prove they are not finished yet. It should be a great showdown.

warmy 01-25-2006 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blosson
Cool. Two players who need to prove they are not finished yet. It should be a great showdown.

That is, assuming Donald Young doesn't knock Andy out first round to record his first tour victory. :o

partygirl 01-25-2006 06:08 PM

does'nt he have to beat blake first?

i want color here in san jo andy and im not talkin' darks either ;)

tangerine_dream 01-25-2006 06:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by deb.

Yes! Don't forget your posters. :p

warmy 01-25-2006 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by partygirl
does'nt he have to beat blake first?

i want color here in san jo andy and im not talkin' darks either ;)

Probably. I just a had a nightmare last night about going to Wimbledon watching Donald Young def. Andy Roddick 7-6, 7-6, 7-5 in the first round. It wasn't a pleasent dream. :sobbing:

Fee 01-25-2006 08:08 PM

Donald Young hasn't won a match at a Futures event yet this year, so don't worry about him beating Andy yet.

Good news: I'll be at San Jose everyday
Bad news: I won't have a laptop there (my husband swears he needs it that week).
I will try to get to Kinko's or someplace in the mornings before my shift and let you know if I have spoken to him or anything important like that. Other than that, Deb can call my cell or text me or something. :)

Carito_90 01-25-2006 08:16 PM

YAY for the thread Tangy! :hug:

I can only hope what everybody here hopes for...