MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com (http://www.menstennisforums.com/index.php)
-   Gaston Gaudio Message Board (http://www.menstennisforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=233)
-   -   2005 Year in Review/ 2006 Preview (http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=62726)

Action Jackson 12-20-2005 02:08 PM

2005 Year in Review/ 2006 Preview

I thought why not and keeps us occupied for a while.

2005 Review & 2006 Preview

2005 was an interesting year for Gaston, by the raw numbers it would be definitely considered a successful year. With 5 titles from 6 finals and finishing in the top 10 for the second consecutive year is more than was expected from him at the start of 2005, when he was supposed to disappear off the face of the earth. Though behind the good numbers there are some other factors which can’t be told just by figured.

The Good: Winning 5 titles this season and only losing one final to Nadal in Stuttgart, in which he played well, but was totally outplayed by a better player. Gaston used to have a very bad record of winning finals, but he has improved markedly in that department and this can only be good. Though he won the 5 titles, the players he defeated players that he should be beating on the clay, when he is near the top of his game like Gonzalez, Puerta, Robredo, Wawrinka and Verdasco and did so.

His overall improved results on hardcourts and indoors was pleasing. He played well in Australia and lost a very tough match against a seasoned fighter in Hrbaty in the heat. He made the quarters in Montreal and Paris which was unexpected and helped him make the TMC. In addition to making the semis of the TMC, shows that he has the capacity to do well on these surfaces, though the end wasn’t the best for him.

The Bad: Gaston didn’t do that well in the important clay events. This is the big time of the year for him and he didn’t perform as he was capable of. Yes, all players have bad tournaments, but he didn’t get past the QFs in the big four and that is disappointing.

The pressure of being RG defending champion might have played a part, but he is a professional and has to handle this and he failed to do so. This doesn’t mean that he has to win every tournament around, but for someone of his ability not to pass the QFs and the bad losses to Ferrer in Rome, where it was painful for the mood he was in and the RG loss when leading 4-0 in the 5th set was disappointing.

It’s great to win titles, but ultimately the performances in the major events are what really count and these in an overall context weren’t as good as they should be.

Overall I am satisfied with 2005, in how he managed to keep his ranking at a very good level and played some good tennis, there just wasn’t enough of it in the major events and as for some of his poor performances well some things will never be purged from the system completely.

2006: What it Holds

Hopefully it’s a successful year, but this will depend on a few factors obviously. How motivated he is, as this was a very tough year for him and unlike last year he had to wait till the end of season to make sure he qualified for the TMC, which was one of his main goals for the year.

I think it will be some time into the year before he starts some good tennis and have very low expectations for the Aus Open. The mental tiredness could be more of a factor and hopefully he has recharged his batteries and can start the season well.

It would be disappointing if he doesn’t play in Buenos Aires and I would love to see him playing Davis Cup again and do well in the major clay events of 2006 and continue to improve on hardcourts.

Don’t play Wimbledon, watching Argentina in the World Cup is more important.

Just hope he continues to entertain, play well, have fun and infuriate us for a while yet.

Betty 12-20-2005 02:16 PM

Re: 2005 Year in Review/ 2006 Preview

i like your words George ;)
only one correction for me..hope he'll plays Wimbly :p even if it's not so important for him ;)

sigmagirl91 12-20-2005 02:46 PM

George, thank you. I hope Gaston decides to give Wimbledon a try this year-in addition to improving his results in Australia and NY.

*Ljubica* 12-20-2005 04:13 PM

Thanks for that GWH - I enjoyed reading it. Unlike other people here - I agree with you about Wimbledon - if he doesn't want to play it - then he should skip it. Not sure about the football thing ;) but I definately think he should take it a rest period between the important European clay court season (culminating in RG) and the Summer clay court swing - which may not be as important prestige-wise but can earn him valuable points in places like Stuttgart and Kitz.

As for Buenos Aires - I totally agree with Gastón's stance on that one and I think he should hold out for what he believes in and miss it if necessary. If you read the Argentine Press regularly as I do - you will see there is so much Coria and Nalbandan worship there (especially Nalbandian since the TMC - it is quite nauseating in my opinion) - and our Gastón seems to be a forgotten man there :sad: Gastón won a Grand Slam and appeared in Bs As last year when the others didn't bother to, and yet hs loyalty and hard work seem to have been dismissed to worship the new "tennis gods" - so if he thinks it is time to make a stand and keep away - then good luck to him in my opinion. I do think he'll end up playing there eventually though!

Other than that - I just want him to be healthy and happy - to be fulfilled in his tennis and more importantly in his personal life, and to continue entertaining us for a while yet :)

Action Jackson 12-21-2005 06:56 AM

Yes, I have been reading about the Buenos Aires thing and hopefully they can come to an agreement of sorts.

The interesting thing is that when the tournament wasn't making money, Gaston did the right thing and played the event and he was ridiculed and jeered after the Malaga fiasco. Played this year when the big names didn't bother to turn up.

I thought Gaston and Jaite got along fairly well and Jaite as tournament director should be able to do something about this. I thought Coria and Nalbandian were going to play the indoor events, though as Rosie said I don't see Gaston not playing this event.

*Ljubica* 12-21-2005 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GeorgeWHitler
Yes, I have been reading about the Buenos Aires thing and hopefully they can come to an agreement of sorts.

The interesting thing is that when the tournament wasn't making money, Gaston did the right thing and played the event and he was ridiculed and jeered after the Malaga fiasco. Played this year when the big names didn't bother to turn up.

I thought Gaston and Jaite got along fairly well and Jaite as tournament director should be able to do something about this. I thought Coria and Nalbandian were going to play the indoor events, though as Rosie said I don't see Gaston not playing this event.

No - not next year - they are going back to Bs As and have been offered megabucks to do so which is what Gastón is so annoyed about :devil: They didn't do so well in Europe last February did they? And Coria, at least is likely to get more points on clay than on the fast indoor courts.

Action Jackson 12-21-2005 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rosie
No - not next year - they are going back to Bs As and have been offered megabucks to do so which is what Gastón is so annoyed about :devil: They didn't do so well in Europe last February did they) And Coria, at least is likely to get more points on clay than the fast indoor courts.

Well Ferrero is meant to be coming as well, so this is the reason where most of the cash is going as well in addition to the other two and you know my feelings about these players and they should play in Argentina irrespective, it's not like they get a lot of events.

Gaston has entered the tournament in Viña del Mar.

*Ljubica* 12-21-2005 08:27 AM

Quote:

Well Ferrero is meant to be coming as well, so this is the reason where most of the cash is going as well in addition to the other two and you know my feelings about these players and they should play in Argentina irrespective, it's not like they get a lot of events.

Gaston has entered the tournament in Viña del Mar.

Yes - I saw that in the Viña thread. And you know my feelings on the Bs As subject are quite different from yours - much as I loathe the Weasel - I think he should do what is right for him and his career - not just something to please the Argentine public - but - hey - we're all entitled to our own opinions - that is what makes life fun :devil:

Betty 12-21-2005 08:36 AM

Quote:

Yes - I saw that in the Viña thread. And you know my feelings on the Bs As subject are quite different from yours - much as I loathe the Weasel - I think he should do what is right for him and his career - not just something to please the Argentine public - but - hey - we're all entitled to our own opinions - that is what makes life fun :devil:

:lol: well, but a traning on clay court can help him ;)

Choupi 12-21-2005 08:42 AM

Well, I have to say I don't see what I could add to that review of 2005. Everything has been said. The good as well as the bad. I also hope that the BA story can be sorted out soon. I suppose this is the right place and the right moment to wish Gaston to have a good 2006, tennis speaking mostly but without forgetting about all the rest which is so important for him. And, just to be a bit selfish, I wish to see him in all the tourneys -well most of them- that I'm gonna attend. :)

justClaudia 12-21-2005 10:39 AM

Quote:

Thanks for that GWH - I enjoyed reading it. Unlike other people here - I agree with you about Wimbledon - if he doesn't want to play it - then he should skip it. Not sure about the football thing ;) but I definately think he should take it a rest period between the important European clay court season (culminating in RG) and the Summer clay court swing - which may not be as important prestige-wise but can earn him valuable points in places like Stuttgart and Kitz.

As for Buenos Aires - I totally agree with Gastón's stance on that one and I think he should hold out for what he believes in and miss it if necessary. If you read the Argentine Press regularly as I do - you will see there is so much Coria and Nalbandan worship there (especially Nalbandian since the TMC - it is quite nauseating in my opinion) - and our Gastón seems to be a forgotten man there :sad: Gastón won a Grand Slam and appeared in Bs As last year when the others didn't bother to, and yet hs loyalty and hard work seem to have been dismissed to worship the new "tennis gods" - so if he thinks it is time to make a stand and keep away - then good luck to him in my opinion. I do think he'll end up playing there eventually though!

Other than that - I just want him to be healthy and happy - to be fulfilled in his tennis and more importantly in his personal life, and to continue entertaining us for a while yet :)

Our Nalbandian deserves all the worshiping, he won the TMC against all odds - so I think it's only fair all the attention he has got lately. He deserves it. Sorry, but I had to say this....anyway this is about Gaston - not about Guillermo or David.

I just want to wish the best of luck to Gaston in 2006. No matter which tournaments he chooses to play - I'm sure he'll always make a wise decision, and one that makes him happy.
And if he could come to defend his title here in Estoril, I would apreciate it, of course. :o

Action Jackson 12-21-2005 11:05 AM

I hope Gaston does play a sensible schedule, then again what works for him, isn't the same for everyone and he should know his body himself.

He'll play the Latin American circuit, more than likely and is starting in Viña, then Buenos Aires is up in the air and I can see him playing Acapulco.

Just hope he brings his best tennis when it counts.

justClaudia 12-21-2005 11:47 AM

Quote:

I hope Gaston does play a sensible schedule, then again what works for him, isn't the same for everyone and he should know his body himself.

Exactly, no one knows better his body then Gaston himself.
I'm sure he'll make a sensible schedule.

Action Jackson 12-23-2005 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClaudiaM
Exactly, no one knows better his body then Gaston himself.
I'm sure he'll make a sensible schedule.

One can only hope he does.

Vale 12-23-2005 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Choupi
Well, I have to say I don't see what I could add to that review of 2005. Everything has been said. The good as well as the bad. I also hope that the BA story can be sorted out soon. I suppose this is the right place and the right moment to wish Gaston to have a good 2006, tennis speaking mostly but without forgetting about all the rest which is so important for him.

I agree with you. I think George summed it all up very well, and thanks for this thread!
From what Gastón said during the Vilas Cup, and something Franco said, it would seem that he has the firm intention of concentrating on the major events and not playing in so many tournaments. This is opposed to what he said 18 months ago when he stated he "needed to play a lot" and that he used it as the best form of training. But I imagine that after this strenuous year he´s changed his mind and accepts that the very fact of competing is stressful and leaves him mentally tired when he needs to be at his best. Whatever, here´s wishing Gastón a wonderful year!!! :D