MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com (http://www.menstennisforums.com/index.php)
-   Gustavo Kuerten Message Board (http://www.menstennisforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   Guga 2006 Schedule (first post contains updated schedule) (http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=60898)

shotgun 11-18-2005 03:55 PM

Guga 2006 Schedule (first post contains updated schedule)

To make it easier to follow his activity throughout the year.
I'll keep updating it as more news come up.

Pre-Season
08/Dec -- Desafio Petrobras - Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
15/Dec -- Copa Argentina - Buenos Aires, Argentina

2006 Season
30/Jan -- Vina del Mar, Chile (ankle injury)
10/Feb -- Davis Cup AG I 1st Rd. - Peru vs. Brazil - Asia, Peru
13/Feb -- Buenos Aires, Argentina (ankle injury)
20/Feb -- Costa do Sauipe, Brazil
27/Feb -- Acapulco, Mexico (lack of fitness)
06/Mar -- Indian Wells TMS, California, U.S. (lack of fitness)
20/Mar -- Miami TMS, Florida, U.S. (hip injury)
07/Apr -- Davis Cup AG I 2nd Rd. - Ecuador vs. Brazil - Cuenca, Ecuador (hip injury)
10/Apr -- Valencia, Spain (hip injury)

Lee 11-18-2005 06:01 PM

Re: Guga 2006 Schedule

Thanks Renato

Wojtek 12-07-2005 06:45 AM

I hope he will play in Sopot :angel:

Billabong 12-07-2005 11:10 AM

lol;)

Hagar 12-11-2005 02:10 PM

No Australian? Well, he's never done well there. A bit to my surprise because that surface suits his game.

shotgun 12-11-2005 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hagar
No Australian? Well, he's never done well there. A bit to my surprise because that surface suits his game.

Yeah, his best recent results have come on hard courts, but I think he's worried about his hips.

Lee 01-06-2006 09:07 PM

Viña der Mar is the last event Guga can use protected ranking. Bueno Aires has issued a WC for Guga so he'll definitely play there. No doubt for Brazil Open. I guess Guga will need a WC for Acapulco too and he should have one as he's a former champion.

shotgun 01-06-2006 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lee
Viña der Mar is the last event Guga can use protected ranking. Bueno Aires has issued a WC for Guga so he'll definitely play there. No doubt for Brazil Open. I guess Guga will need a WC for Acapulco too and he should have one as he's a former champion.

Yes, I assume he's getting a WC in Acapulco, since their official site has already announced him.

star 01-07-2006 12:47 AM

I'm hoping he comes on up to California after Acapulco. :)

Lee 01-18-2006 08:40 PM

I'm a bit confused because it seems to me Guga use his protective ranking in Costa do Sauípe but need a WC for Bueno Aires the week before :confused:

shotgun 01-19-2006 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lee
I'm a bit confused because it seems to me Guga use his protective ranking in Costa do Sauípe but need a WC for Bueno Aires the week before :confused:

It seems that the ATP is not really strict about the rule concerning the usage of the protected ranking. In theory, Guga's limit of PR entries had already expired earlier this month, but the ATP has allowed him to use it in Vina del Mar and Costa do Sauipe. There have been other cases in the tour, for example Younes El Aynaoui in the past has entered a few more tournaments with his PR than the official limit would allow him to.

My guess is that they probably allowed Guga to use it finally twice more in February, and as he had already assured wildcards in Buenos Aires and Acapulco, he decided to return the WC he would receive in Sauipe to the tournament directors and enter the tournament with his PR, so that the TDs could give the wildcard to other players (they just gave one to Moya and the remaining two will probably go to Ricardo Mello and Thiago Alves).

Lee 01-19-2006 04:06 PM

Thanks for the explanation, Renato :hug:

Well, since there's no tournament in December, it's reasonable that ATP let him extend his PR for another month.

shotgun 01-19-2006 07:14 PM

No problem, Lee. ;)

Well, actually, considering the long break he took since the US Open, he could almost be granted another full year of protected ranking entries. Perhaps he should just postpone his comeback to April. :lol: :p

Oh, but then it would freeze around the 290th spot or so. :o

shotgun 01-25-2006 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by star
I'm hoping he comes on up to California after Acapulco. :)

Looks like he heard you. :p

He's on the entry list for Indian Wells. He entered it with his protected ranking (one more entry granted by the ATP).

Lee 01-25-2006 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shotgun Blues
Looks like he heard you. :p

He's on the entry list for Indian Wells. He entered it with his protected ranking (one more entry granted by the ATP).

Scrambling to see if I can make the trip although it's not likely :sad: