MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com (http://www.menstennisforums.com/index.php)
-   Ivan Ljubicic Chat (http://www.menstennisforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=384)
-   -   Ivan: News and Articles (http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=50842)

El Legenda 08-28-2005 08:52 PM

Ivan: News and Articles

other day Rosie posted article but there was no thread for it...so here it is.

El Legenda 08-28-2005 08:53 PM

Re: Ivan: News and Articles

Quote:

When war broke out in the Balkans, your family were forced to flee. That must have been so tough.

My father couldn't leave Bosnia with us. For six months it was only me, my mother and my brother. He arrived later with the Red Cross who were trying to unite families that had been separated. It was not possible for males over the age of 28 to leave the country. I still don't know how he managed it. It was really difficult. But he did it.

- You used to carry a photo of Goran Ivanisevic winning Wimbledon as an inspiration. Do you still have it?

I probably still have it somewhere. I certainly didn't throw it away. It shows that if you want something so much you're going to get it. Sometimes you see movies with stories like that and you think it's too much because it could never happen. But with Goran it did.

- After the Balkan wars how did tennis players lile you decide which state to play for?

If you came from the former Yugoslavia, you can choose which new Balkan state to play under. Yugoslavia was made up of 6 republics - Slovenia, Croatia, Bosnia-Herzogovina, Serbia, Macedonia and Montenegro. The whole of Yugoslavia was (racially) mixed, but Bosnia was the most mixed. I guess 90% of people who play for Bosnia is any sport are Muslims. Croatians who live in Croatia obviously play for Croatia, and Serbians who live in Serbia play for Serbia. Bosnian Croats or Serbs may choose to play for Bosnua, but Bosnia is poor, so if you're Croatian and good in some sport you try to go to Zagreb because they have better facilities. If you're Serbian you try to go to Belgrade in Serbia. Then once you're there you switch nationality.

- If there was one rule in tennis you could change what would it be?

The HawkEye camera would help tennis a lot. I feel that sometimes the world's top players or the local guys are protected in certain ways by the linesman. Being a Croatian, and having only one event in Croatia the whole year, I am always playing away from home. The linesman are always local people. I'm not saying they're bad, but sometimes they cannot take the pressure. In a normal match, say there are 10 to 15 balls that are 50/50 where the nornal eye cannot see if they're good or bad. In 90% of cases the linesman's decision will go to the local player.

HawkEye could be linked to a screen courtside. It could show where the ball landed. The crowd could get involved. It would be fun.

- What irritates you about your job?

Every time you leave a tournament you leave after losing a match. There's only one guy who leaves in a good mood. Also, we have unbelievebly huge expenses. We have to pay for almost everything. Plus we're not protected financially if something bad happens to us like an injury. If you don't play you lose points, you don't earn money and you still have expenses.

- You got married last year. How is married life?

My wide Aida loves me very much, We've been together 9 years now so the realtionship if nothing new. It's another step I've made in my life. I feel a more complete person now.

- What car do you drive?

Mercedes E-class.

- Favourite music, films and books?

"Metallica" is my favourite band, along with "Guns and Roses". Heavy rock is the kind of music that even if you listen to it every day for many years you never get tired of it.

Tom Cruise and George Clooney are good actors in my opinion. I don't like movies that are too serious -the action would be limited, "Ocean 11" is one of my favourites. If I read on a day I am playing I feel a little dizzy, so I try not to read before I play. Since I play most of the time I don't have much chance to read. I've read all the Harry Potter books though, and I like easy reading books like Wilbur Smith. Your mind goes somewhere away from reality and you can relax.

El Legenda 08-29-2005 08:39 PM

Quote:

Ljubicic Defeats Summerer in Straight Sets
by Erin Bruehl
Monday, August 29, 2005

Despite struggling with his serve throughout the match and being forced to a second set tie-break, No. 18 Ivan Ljubicic defeated qualifier Tobias Summerer of Germany in straight sets, 6-3, 7-6 (4), 6-3, to advance to the second round of the US Open.

Ljubicic, the Davis Cup hero from Croatia who defeated both Andy Roddick and Andre Agassi to help eliminate the United States in this year's Cup, dominated early, breaking Summerer on his first serve to go up 2-0 in the first set. Summerer was able to hold his serve the rest of the set but struggled defending Ljubicic's serve, scoring just four points off the Croatian's serve in the first set. Both players had consistent trouble getting their first serves over the net but the rest of the set stayed on serve.

Summerer put pressure on Ljubicic in the second set, breaking him in the fourth game to go up 3-1 after Ljubicic double faulted twice, missed a drop shot and hit a return shot into the net. Summerer won the next game to take a 4-1 lead but Ljubicic started to rebound, winning his next service game and then breaking Summerer in the seventh game after Summerer double faulted twice and then hit a return shot into the net after a long baseline rally. Ljubicic then broke again in the eleventh game to take a 6-5 lead but Summerer immediately broke back with several impressive winners down the line to force a tie-break. Ljubicic fell behind 4-2 to start the tie-break but scored five straight points to take the set.

In the third set, they traded service breaks in the second and third games, but for the most part, despite repeatedly faulting on his first serve, Ljubicic took the set rather handily, including breaking Summerer once again in the sixth game.

linus 08-29-2005 10:17 PM

El Legenda 08-29-2005 11:50 PM

from Ivan's website.
Quote:

- It wasnít simple, Summerer has great return with a lot of risk Ė said Ivan after the match. Ė He found his strike after three matches in the qualifications. I won first set routinely and then I gave him break with two double faults and two missed forehands. I fought back, but when serving for the set I was hopeless. He fired back four returns. I was always made to play hard on my serve. Still, I pulled back in tie break and won in three. Iím satisfied with my game and win.

Ivan will face 30 year old Frenchman Cyril Saulnier.

- Heís tough opponent. We played three times. Two years ago in Miami he won, I won in Bangkok. First time we met here in qualifications six years ago and he won. Although he doesnít suit my game too much, my confidence is high and it should be ok.

I♥PsY@Mus!c 08-31-2005 05:01 AM

Thanks for all news! :rocker:
This time he must win. ;)

El Legenda 09-02-2005 10:32 PM

Quote:

Ivan will play in the third round of U.S. Open for the first time in career! Four times Ivan lost in the second round, this time he beat Cyril Saulnier 7:6(5) 5:7 6:4 6:4. Ivan will play in the third round of the Grand Slam Tournaments for the third time. First time it was in Melbourne in 2002. and then in Paris in 2003. Too little, but maybe this will mean the end of the draught.

It didnít go easy. Ivan won the first set in tiebreak. In the second, Ivanís serve was in danger several times. In the eight game, he had to save 0:40, but he lost his serve and set in 12th game. Ivan didnít allow Saulnier to turn the match around. He broke Frenchman in the seventh game of the third set to take it and first game of the fourth set. After that Ivan again had to save his own serve. Saulner had break point in second game, 15:40 in fourth, three break points in eighthÖ Ivan managed to save them all. Then Ivan missed to break Saulnier serve to take the match at 5:3, but Ivan served out the match one game later. Most likely, Ivan will meet another Frenchman, No. 13 seeded Richard Gasquet.
:wavey:

El Legenda 09-30-2005 04:44 AM

Ivan's website.
Quote:

Ivan took Croatia to the Davis Cup final! In live fourth rubber against Russia, Ivan beat Nikolay Davydenko 6:3 7:6(6) 6:4 and won a crucial third point. Ivanís seventh singles Davis Cup win, eleventh overall means that Croatia will be playing in the final of Davis Cup.
:worship:

lovemario 10-01-2005 07:24 PM

Thought you guys might like this,article and some nice pics of Ivan and his wife
http://www.gloria.com.hr/site/mainpa...60ljubicic.htm

I♥PsY@Mus!c 10-01-2005 07:29 PM

Thanks but I don't know Croatian.Any Croatian-English translator machine? :wavey:

lovemario 10-01-2005 08:13 PM

I can do that but need to give me some time :wavey:

lovemario 10-02-2005 12:48 AM

Marriage bliss on distance

Tennis player thanks to who croatia entered the dc final for the first time, lives in Monte Carlo and his wife in Zagreb,so they dont see each other often and they decided not to make bigger family(have kids) until his sport career ends

'I want to be remembered as a tennis player who led his country into a dc final. Dc has always been sth special for me'-said Ivan, #1 cro tennis player and #14 in the world. His wish has fulfilled: on Sunday, September 25,he beat N.Davydenko and became a first croatian t.player thanks to who cro entered a dc final.
With many fans, on the full stands of Gripe was his family:wife Aida,mother Hazira,father Marko,brother Vlado and Aida's brother and parents. After dinner in 'Villa Dalmacija' where cro team was staying,celebration was continued in 'Tribu' club. Ivan opened the party with the bottle of champaign, alongside him were Pilic,Ancic,Karlovic,Tuksar and many other sportmen.
But exhaustion and emotions did its part, and Ivan and Aida left the club first, little before midnight.

Almost slept standing

'I was dead tired and if I had stayed few more minutes,I would have slept standing.It's nice to be a winner,enjoy ovations and congradulations,but neither this time I had time for longer celebration and rest.Next day Ivan left to Monte Carlo.
Ivan moved there 8 years ago where he has ideal training conditions. But there are two sides to that-sacrifising marriage life. Ever since Ivan and Aida(lawschool graduate) married last year in November, couple lives in two cities. Davis cup in Split was a good opportunity to spent a week together.
'I like to be on tournaments with Ivan,to cheer cause atmosphere is always special. Once you get 'addicted' to tennis,it's hard to leave it. Ivan prepares himself in MC for matches, and cause of my obligations on court, I rarely can join him. For now. So every coming of his t cro is like a honeymoon for us:inlove: We had a feek in May when Ivan won Zagreb open. But he was training most of the time then as well as now,in Split. One day we managed to go to ban Jelačić square where Ivan bought a book in bookstore. We didnt get to take a walk in Split,Ivan didnt even get to eat his favourite food speciality-ćevape(maybe RDucky can explain what it is ;) ). But stil I'm not sorry;the most important is that he won,I know how much dc means to him'-said Aida and added that Ivan became very independent since living in MC. On Monday,preparing in Rijeka to leave to Monaco,he packed his 30 kilos heavy luggage very quickly.

'I always have a lots of bags,my hands fall of to take them to my car.I promise to myself everytime that I would take less luggage on the next trip. And when I start packing,in ten minutes my bag is full of half of my closet. I think it's better to take more than to lack of sth. Other than tennis stuff and everyday clothes,I always take camera and laptop so the bags are full and I can barely close them.

For 8 years in MC Ivan has planned schedule.Wakes up at 7.30,joggs,has breakfast,then hour and a half practises upper body part. At noon,he's on the tennis court,after lunch practises,runs,before night plays tennis for another hour and a half.After last meal,he's fot nothing else other bed.
After one week in MC,Ivan leaves to Metz and then Wienna where Aida should join him.
'I dont know if we'll be able to go on our traditional vacation in November.' says Ivan.
'I dont have time for relaxing and private life until my sport career is lasting. Aida and me are not planning kids now,dont want my child to grow up without me.'

I♥PsY@Mus!c 10-02-2005 07:28 AM

Thanks for spending time to translate this article,Lovemario! :bigclap:
Yes DC is so meaningful for him,will Aida travel in Slovakia with him in Dec? :aplot:

lovemario 10-02-2005 08:57 PM

Have no idea,she should anyway ;)

El Legenda 10-02-2005 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RaDiCaLgIrL♥TR
Thanks for spending time to translate this article,Lovemario! :bigclap:
Yes DC is so meaningful for him,will Aida travel in Slovakia with him in Dec? :aplot:

Aida, his family and friends will all be there.