MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com (http://www.menstennisforums.com/index.php)
-   Paul-Henri Mathieu Message Board (http://www.menstennisforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=437)
-   -   Articles & Interviews (http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=48880)

*julie* 08-12-2005 08:08 AM

Articles & Interviews

I thought we could start a new thread with articles and interviews... ;)

Here his interview after his win against Rochus:

Rogers Cup - Interviews

P. MATHIEU /O. Rochus

6-1, 6-2

An interview with:

PAUL-HENRI MATHIEU

(Translated from French interview.)

THE MODERATOR: Questions in French .

Q. Maybe you should come back and explain in French why you said in your opinion you played a better match today than when you played Roddick . Did you feel better today?

PAUL-HENRI MATHIEU: I played a super match against Roddick . I didn't say I played that much better today. But I think on the important points, I was strong. I played a wonderful first set. I think he played well also. They were close points, but every time I was the one who won the point. I played with a lot of confidence.

Q. How do you explain your success since the beginning of this tournament?

PAUL-HENRI MATHIEU: I don't know why because if I knew why, I'd win all the time. But it had to happen one day because of all the work I put into it.

Q. What makes you happier with your game these days?

PAUL-HENRI MATHIEU: I think since the beginning of this week, I've been serving very well. I knew that when I make a high percentage of first serves, confidence grows a lot with that, and I win most of the points after a good first serve.

How many points did I win?

Q. 80. After those three matches that you won, do you feel as confident and as ready for your next match?

PAUL-HENRI MATHIEU: One thing for sure is I must not feel happy because I am now in the quarterfinals. I've been playing late two nights in a row. When I walk out of here, it's time to go to bed. When I wake up, it's time to get back into match situations. This time around, I can recuperate a little more. But I must find a way to keep focused.

Q. How much sleep did you get?

PAUL-HENRI MATHIEU: Not much. At 2:30 room service knocked on the door for no reason, and I had a hard time falling back asleep. It made me nervous. I woke up at 8, so I didn't have a very long night's sleep.

Q. How are your training sessions with Tulasne ? They must not be training sessions like the ones you have when there is no match played. Are those training sessions specific and do they enable you to be more ready for your matches?

PAUL-HENRI MATHIEU: We mostly do warm-ups. We have trained before this tournament in Paris . Those training sessions were very demanding. But nothing replaces a victory in the tournament.

Q. If you could choose your next opponent, would you prefer Davydenko or Beck ?

PAUL-HENRI MATHIEU: It's difficult. All matches are difficult matches. Beck is a very good player. He beat Nalbandian yesterday. He plays very well at this time.

Davydenko is in the top 10, and he'll be difficult also.

Q. You played Davydenko recently.

PAUL-HENRI MATHIEU: Yes. I lost, so I want my revenge. Winning here is a great motivation to continue working as hard. Against Davydenko or Beck , they will be difficult matches.

Q. If you play at the same level of play that you have had until now, what do you think your chances are?

PAUL-HENRI MATHIEU: I have my chances. Playing as well as I do, I think I have a chance to win for sure.

Q. The surface here is very fast. Does this suit your game?

PAUL-HENRI MATHIEU: I like hard surfaces. Most people say I'm a clay court player, but the last two tournaments I won were indoor tournaments which were on hard. I love this surface. I learned to play on this type of surface. I adapt very well. I've always liked fast surfaces.

Q. When was the last time you felt you played as well as this?

PAUL-HENRI MATHIEU: Roland Garros , I started to play very well there. I lost against Cañas . I had two match points. I was getting to play better and better. It's too bad I lost.

FastScripts by ASAP Sports

*julie* 08-12-2005 08:11 AM

Re: Articles & Interviews

From l'equipe.fr
It's in french but I will translate it later ;)

11/08/2005

Mathieu en quarts

Un sur deux. Paul-Henri Mathieu s'est qualifié pour les quarts de finale, jeudi à Montreal, grâce à sa victoire sur le Belge Olivier Rochus, 6-1 6-2. Au prochain tour, il affrontera le Slovaque Karol Beck, qui a éliminé le Russe Nikolay Davydenko, 6-4, 3-6, 7-6 (7/4). A l'inverse, Sébastien Grosjean a perdu au même niveau du tableau face à l'Espagnol Rafaël Nadal, 6-4, 6-4.

Après avoir créé la surprise en sortant Andy Roddick au premier tour, Paul-Henri Mathieu s'était sorti d'un piégeux duel franco-français face à Arnaud Clément mercredi soir. Et après six petites heures de sommeil, il a ressorti les raquettes jeudi matin pour une démonstration : «Je fais un superbe match contre Roddick mais là, c'est certainement mon meilleur de la semaine.»

«Avant de venir à Montréal, j'ai fait une grosse semaine de travail avec des entraînements difficiles», a expliqué Mathieu. Et la semaine passée dans les coursives de Roland-Garros fut aussi celle du renforcement de sa collaboration avec son nouvel entraîneur. Obligé de quitter Patrice Hagelauer au printemps, après qu'il fut reproché à ce dernier par certains joueurs de cumuler les fonctions d'entraîneur de l'équipe de France de Coupe Davis et de Mathieu, le Strasbourgeois a trouvé refuge auprès de Thierry Tulasne. Un coup gagnant.

silverwhite 08-12-2005 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by *julie*
après qu'il fut reproché à ce dernier par certains joueurs de cumuler les fonctions d'entraîneur de l'équipe de France de Coupe Davis

Hmm...

I don't think it's Richard, Arnaud or Mika. He seems quite close to the 3 of them. Monfils seems unlikely as well to say that. Could it be Seb?

Magali 08-12-2005 11:27 AM

THE MODERATOR: Questions in English.

Q. Can you assess the match for us? We didn't have a chance to see it. Seems you must have won very easily.

PAUL-HENRI MATHIEU: The score is very tough, I think. I play a very good match, I mean, I think the best of the week. No, I mean, I play great first set. I won 6-1. The second set, at 3-1 I had a chance to break him for the second time. I didn't took it. He start to play better. But I was serving good, so it was okay. Even if the score is easy, it wasn't that easy.

Q. Can you tell us about the state of tennis in France. It seems that so many players from France are doing very well in this particular tournament. It looks like the game is on the rise in France. Is there a particular reason why so many good players have emerged at the same time?

PAUL-HENRI MATHIEU: I don't know. I mean, we are a lot around 100, 110, 120 in the world. Now they're coming up. We try to come in
the top 50. Gasquet play well before the French Open. So we start to playing good. I don't know why.

Q. What would a victory in this tournament mean to you, where you're at in your career? You were on the verge of becoming a very good player a couple years ago. Would a win here vault you to a different level as it has for Gasquet?

PAUL-HENRI MATHIEU: In every tournament, you want to win some matches. I'm happy to win three matches in a row. I hope I can win again tomorrow. Every tournaments are different. You always want to win.

Q. Do you have a preference for your next opponent?

PAUL-HENRI MATHIEU: Beck is very solid, I think. But Davydenko is very tough. He played very good, it seem, this year. He is in the top 10, so he is very tough.

Q. You were mentioning earlier you thought this was your best match of the week. Considering the victory you had in your opening round against Roddick, it sounds a bit surprising to hear that. What maybe was better for you today that hasn't been there?

PAUL-HENRI MATHIEU: I mean, I play a great match, too, against Roddick. I think today, no, I mean, today was another great match. I was feeling better on the court. Before I play Roddick, I didn't win so many matches. Today I won two already. So I had little bit more confidence.

Q. At the beginning of the match, I'm not sure how many people in this city knew your name. Now people do. How does that feel as a young athlete?

PAUL-HENRI MATHIEU: I don't know. I will tell you tonight when I go out for dinner (smiling). I don't know. I mean, you get used to it. It's kind of nice.

Q. Do you like the speed of these courts? They do appear to suit your game.

PAUL-HENRI MATHIEU: Yes. I mean, sometime we say I'm a clay court player. But, no, I like to play on these courts. I like to play when it's fast. I won two tournaments indoors. No, I like it. It's true, is fast.

*julie* 08-12-2005 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by silverwhite
Hmm...

I don't think it's Richard, Arnaud or Mika. He seems quite close to the 3 of them. Monfils seems unlikely as well to say that. Could it be Seb?

:scratch: I have no idea... :shrug:

delsa 08-12-2005 01:30 PM

Quote:

Hmm...

If it's true (which i doubt...) that must be this stupid angry jalous whinner: Lisnard... :rolleyes:
Or it is another invention by the media to made a scandal up. I read elsewhere that they couldn't keep working together and knew it at the start of their collaboration simply because it was not allowed for an international coach, a DC team coach to work with a player on the tour. He only made a "pige" with Mathieu as they said. It was the plan.

Thanks Julie! I like the room service anectdote. Someone doesn't want him to sleep well because he's winning too much or what? :lol: That's like the plate of pastas anectdote... :rolls:

silverwhite 08-12-2005 02:51 PM

No one seems to like Lisnard. :tape:

delsa 08-12-2005 03:03 PM

Quote:

No one seems to like Lisnard. :tape:

Well, there are good reasons for that... And i don't waste my time not liking him. I'm indifferent. I hope he changes and i might like him.

silverwhite 08-12-2005 03:05 PM

Tell me more. I don't know about his history. :lol:

*julie* 08-12-2005 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by delsa
Thanks Julie! I like the room service anectdote. Someone doesn't want him to sleep well because he's winning too much or what? :lol: That's like the plate of pastas anectdote... :rolls:

That's more than likely...Otherwise, how did the hotel staff dare to wake him up at 2:30 AM without any purposes... :mad:

I hope this time Thierry will be on the watch in his doorway... :devil:

delsa 08-12-2005 05:33 PM

Quote:

Tell me more. I don't know about his history. :lol:

Anyway, that can't be Lisnard. From what some ppl like Choupi explained, it must be players of the DC team who didn't agree to let Patrice be at the disposal of Paulo alone on the tour. He's not one of them. Sorry to have accused him. :o
He complained at the 2005 Aussie Open after he "won" his 1st round match against an injured Seb Grosjean who was very likely going to win (he was up two sets to none...but injured himself...) but refused to retire. He said he was lying or making it worse than it was because he was a "bad looser", because of sour grapes. He put forward injuries he said he had to play through too... And he was very mean in his words. His reaction was stupid. He was supposed to know Grosjean enough to know he couldn't have done what he afirmed he had done. They knew each other almost since childhood. Grosjean even mentioned him in his book (the one he wrote with Arnaud...). He lost in the next round.
He is known to often have this kind of attitude even towards his fellow countrymen. He tends to complain a lot, whinning about this and that, finding bad excuses to his defeats, accusing very easily other players of very bad things etc...At one time, we heard of this kind of things so often from him it was unbelievable. He made a fool of himself. It was like "That's again this Losnard whinning! What it it today? The net was too high?..."
I didn't heard these kind of stories about him recently. Maybe he has changed. I hope so.
That's nothing. I've never really disliked someone in my life and it's not someone like him with the little stupidities he has done that will make me start doing this. Anyway, i don't like him either. Everyone can be an asshole during a period of one's life. I had my time. I just hope it's over now for him and he understood he had a lot of defaults, put himself in question, wanted to change and did it. ;)

delsa 08-12-2005 05:38 PM

Quote:

That's more than likely...Otherwise, how did the hotel staff dare to wake him up at 2:30 AM without any purposes... :mad:

I hope this time Thierry will be on the watch in his doorway... :devil:

:lol: I'm sure Thierry will be happy to help with that! I already imagine it from here: "I won't stay this guy's coach for long if i have to do that kind of stuff. For God's sake, i'm not his nanny! He always put himself in trouble! And we don't know what his Cincy draw will look like yet! That will be something, i'll need to get use to." :haha:

silverwhite 08-12-2005 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by delsa
Anyway, that can't be Lisnard. From what some ppl like Choupi explained, it must be players of the DC team who didn't agree to let Patrice be at the disposal of Paulo alone on the tour. He's not one of them. Sorry to have accused him. :o

Which makes it all the more intriguing... Who do you think it is?

*julie* 08-12-2005 07:52 PM

Here is an article post by smucav on the General MB. I decided to post this here cos there are some comments about the collaboration of Paulo and Thierry Tulasne.

Mathieu solves coaching problems and flourishes
On DC loss: 'I was very perturbed and I couldn't put all my mind on my tennis'

By Georges Homsi, Special to TennisReporters.net

Coaching changes have affected Paul-Henri Mathieu.

FROM THE ROGERS TENNIS MASTERS SERIES IN MONTREAL – After his remarkable performances in Davis Cup against Spain in Alicante in 2004 and against Sweden in the first round in March of this year, Paul-Henri Mathieu was earning a much deserved reputation for being an anchor of the French team.

In Alicante, he scored a fantastic five-set victory over former No. 1 Carlos Moya and, in his hometown of Strasbourg, he defeated both Joachim and Thomas Johansson, giving France two vital points in this opening tie. Although his results on the ATP and Grand Slam events haven't been to the standard of his Davis Cup performances, French captain Guy Forget has counted heavily on Alsace-born Mathieu to help his team advance further in the 2005 campaign.

But, things didn't go as smoothly as Forget would have hoped when France was challenging Russia in Moscow last month. With Grosjean out because he "needed a rest," Mathieu, teaming alongside Richard Gasquet, was once again expected to help the team overcome Russia, in the absence of its leader, Marat Safin.

Yet, for Mathieu, being in a good mental space is a key element of his success, and it quickly became obvious that he was neither serene nor confident. Crushed in straight sets by both Nicolay Davydenko and Igor Andreev, he was only the shadow of the player who was so dominant earlier in the year against Sweden.

The reason for the Frenchman looking so lost out there was mainly an ongoing "affair" with the French Tennis Federation. Back in early May, Mathieu decided to part with his coach Olivier Soules, for lack of compatibility. He expressed the desire to train with Patrice Hagelauer, who is known for having coached Yannick Noah in his prime, including the year he won Roland Garros. A trial cooperation began until the end of the French Open and it went better than any could have hoped. At Roland Garros, Mathieu displayed some amazing tennis, even holding two match points before bowing to Guillermo Cañas in a thrilling five-setter.

The problem, however, was that Hagelauer is employed by the French federation, which had to give its approval before Mathieu could benefit from his help all year long. Incidentally, Hagelauer was also a coach of the French Davis Cup team and apparently, some members of the team expressed to the federation their concern about Hagelauer coaching both the team, and one of the potential Davis Cup players.

FRENCH FEDERATION NIXES COACH
As a result, in spite of a very fruitful cooperation which lasted a little over a month, and the determination of both Hagelauer and Mathieu to continue working together, the federation refused to give its OK. "It was not an easy situation. I just couldn't understand it," Mathieu said.

What the federation didn't realize then, was that it was jeopardising its chances in Davis Cup. "I was very perturbed and I couldn't put all my mind on my tennis" says Mathieu to explain his two horrible matches against Russia.

Since then, a new perspective arose for the Frenchman, as the federation offered him an interesting alternative in the form of Thierry Tulasne, the former coach of Sebastien Grosjean. Tulasne left his duties with French juniors, to be able to travel with Mathieu on a trial basis.

Things seem to be moving in the right direction, judging by the form shown by Mathieu in Montreal this week. "I must admit I am enjoying working with Thierry, although I didn't know him so well. And it is showing on court," he said.

Mathieu was so disappointed after his Davis Cup mediocre performance that he was eager to work twice as hard. "I really did appreciate this will to bounce back," Tulasne said.

This week, in Montreal, Mathieu offered a display of his new attitude, upsetting Andy Roddick in the first round in straight sets. Things are still going his way as he also played two very solid matches to oust Arnaud Clement and Olivier Rochus. "I have been serving very well, and playing well the big points' Mathieu said. In the quarterfinals, he will test his form against Karol Beck, who upset Davydenko 6-4, 3-6, 7-6(4).

Silverwhite, this article made me realize that it's more than likely that Seb was the one who prevented Hagelauer from being Paulo's coach. These are only suppositions but...

During today's match the commentator said Tulasne is really happy about Paulo because it's the first time he has seen such a hard-working player. And the other commentator answered (laughing) that he may have other reasons to say so...I had the feeling they were refering to Seb cos he was training with Tulasne in the past.
Moreover, Seb has an american coach and didn't play the last DC match...
That might be reasons of this little "chill" between Seb and the fft. All these little facts could make sense. :rolleyes:

:lol: I feel like a detective.

delsa 08-12-2005 08:42 PM

Quote:

Silverwhite, this article made me realize that it's more than likely that Seb was the one who prevented Hagelauer from being Paulo's coach. These are only suppositions but...

During today's match the commentator said Tulasne is really happy about Paulo because it's the first time he has seen such a hard-working player. And the other commentator answered (laughing) that he may have other reasons to say so...I had the feeling they were refering to Seb cos he was training with Tulasne in the past.
Moreover, Seb has an american coach and didn't play the last DC match...
That might be reasons of this little "chill" between Seb and the fft. All these little facts could make sense. :rolleyes:

:lol: I feel like a detective.

True. And Grosjean is known not to be a "hard-worker" so that's what i thought too hearing those commentaries. They often make fun of him because of that. I read the L'Equipe article you're talking about with the "i've never been with such an hard-worker before" quote from Tuslane. I think that would make sense. But don't think that was direclty against Paulo even if it's close to be. But he didn't want a DC coach who can have an influence on DC selections of players to work with a player on the tour. In short, he wanted to still be able to give crappy excuses not to take part in a DC tie when he wants to and still be one of the first choices for selection, knowing that a lot of French players more motivated by DC than him are coming strong and that he may not be that "undisputable" in the future... Maybe i'm going too far. I don't know...

I feel like a bad detective... :o :lol: