MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com (http://www.menstennisforums.com/index.php)
-   The Dubai Tennis Championships (http://www.menstennisforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=103)
-   -   The Finals: Federer v. Novak (http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=4616)

Mrs. B 03-02-2003 12:36 PM

The Finals: Federer v. Novak

Good luck Roger! :bounce:

Nymeria 03-02-2003 12:38 PM

Go Roger :bounce:

warfreakbix 03-02-2003 12:49 PM

Goodluck Roger! :bounce:

Make it a fast one! :D

Vampire Armand 03-02-2003 12:55 PM

Go Roger! POUND HIM!:bounce::bounce:

Awesome4hand 03-02-2003 01:09 PM

Anything could happen here...

Federer's been playing well three tournaments in a row... Novak is starting to peak at the right time....just b4 the TMS...

Federer in 3 sets... 64 46 76

Sjengster 03-02-2003 01:19 PM

Well, I think it will go to three sets, but whoever wins I don't think the score will be that tight. It's interesting that Federer's last two wins indoors, while convincing, were not straight sets, and Novak usually came back right after Roger had given a crushing display of superiority; he took the second set in the Vienna final 6-1, but Novak managed to take the third set, and then at the Masters Cup even after bagelling Novak in the first set Federer was forced to go into a third eventually.

Also note that this is the first time they have played on outdoor hardcourt, and of the six matches they've played Novak has won the two played in outdoor conditions, at Wimbledon and in Rome. I think Roger will still take this and although it will most likely be a tough battle, I reckon he will manage to win decisively in the end.

Marilyn 03-02-2003 01:40 PM

Goooooooo Roger :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

RogiFan 03-02-2003 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Sjengster
Well, I think it will go to three sets, but whoever wins I don't think the score will be that tight. It's interesting that Federer's last two wins indoors, while convincing, were not straight sets, and Novak usually came back right after Roger had given a crushing display of superiority; he took the second set in the Vienna final 6-1, but Novak managed to take the third set, and then at the Masters Cup even after bagelling Novak in the first set Federer was forced to go into a third eventually.

Also note that this is the first time they have played on outdoor hardcourt, and of the six matches they've played Novak has won the two played in outdoor conditions, at Wimbledon and in Rome. I think Roger will still take this and although it will most likely be a tough battle, I reckon he will manage to win decisively in the end.

Hi Sjengster!

Hope you're right... I want a quick and painless win for Rogi but somehow I doubt it... as long as he focusses, is determined and is more agressive, he can win this!

Cheering for you, ROGI!! ;)

Lily 03-02-2003 03:34 PM

win or lose, Roger has played some amazing tennis these past 3 weeks and I just hope it continues into the TMS and GS. With that said.....

Go Rogi!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

Mrs. B 03-02-2003 04:17 PM

3-0 Roger, 1st set

Sjengster 03-02-2003 04:22 PM

I wonder if the conditions are as blustery as they were yesterday? Because if so, Roger's more attacking game gives him an immediate advantage. I saw a repeat of Novak's semi with Robredo yesterday and the wind was playing havoc with his shots, a lot of the time he was off-balance and had to push the ball back over the net, usually off the frame, simply because the wind was blowing it all over the place.

Mrs. B 03-02-2003 04:30 PM

6-1 first set. Roger

bluepastures 03-02-2003 04:33 PM

Federer's playing extremely well today. He gave Novak very few opportunities in the first set.

bluepastures 03-02-2003 04:35 PM

6-1, 0-1. Now it's Federer serving

Sjengster 03-02-2003 04:36 PM

See what I mean about the first part of most of their matches? The last two times Federer has played Novak, I've always felt sorry for Novak simply because he's such a decent and hard-working guy and he's usually been made to look second best out there; but then, I remember that before last year he held a 3-1 advantage in matches against Roger, so he certainly does know how to beat him.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if Novak were now to grab this second set after such a quick first set, but if Roger can finish this off convincingly, all the better!