MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com (http://www.menstennisforums.com/index.php)
-   Stanislas Wawrinka Message Board (http://www.menstennisforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=484)
-   -   °_° - Stan's news - °_° (http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=46004)

Nathy 07-17-2005 03:07 PM

°_° - Stan's news - °_°

Everything that is brand new about the Swiss boy is here!

At the moment Stan's holidays are about to end and he will soon travel to the USA to begin training ahead of the TMS Montreal which is his next tournament (begin 8th August)!

Stevens Point 09-23-2005 08:04 PM

Re: °_° - Stan's news - °_°

I am delighted that I am allowed to post the first article of Stan in this thread!! :D

www.bbc.co.uk

Murray loss leaves Brits reeling

Stanislas Wawrinka left Great Britain's Davis Cup hopes hanging in the balance with a 6-3 7-6 (7-5) 6-4 win over Andy Murray to give Switzerland a 2-0 lead.

The Scot was bettered by the Swiss number two's aggressive strokes in the opener and lost a tight second set after going 3-0 up in the tie-break.

The players swapped breaks in a tense third but Murray's mistakes handed Wawrinka the decisive break late on.

Britain must now win the doubles on Saturday to have any hope of promotion.

Team captain Jeremy Bates' tactic of resting British number two Greg Rusedski on the opening day could now prove to be fatal to the team's hopes of getting back in the world's top 16.

Murray, in his debut Davis Cup singles match, conceded he was simply beaten by the better player

"I played pretty well for two-and-a-half sets," said the 18-year-old.

"But I didn't serve or return as well as I would have liked. I can't play my best tennis every day.

"I wouldn't say it is a blip, I've lost against a guy who's ranked 50 places higher than me in the rankings."

Wawrinka's searching groundstrokes undid Murray in the opener and he quickly broke the Scot in the fourth game.

The crowd roared on the Swiss number two in the Palexpo Arena and he broke again.

A lapse of concentration handed Murray one break back but Wawrinka recovered to wrap up the set in 41 minutes.

Murray was back on form in the second and silenced the crowd with some clever shots at the net and his pace around court.

But the 18-year-old could not break down Wawrinka and when he was ahead in the tie-break some poor selection let the Swiss back in to take a two-set lead.

Murray appeared to have rallied at the start of the third as he quickly went 2-0 up.

But the Swiss world number 60 piled on the pressure, forcing Murray into mistakes to break back.

Despite flashes of brilliant play, Murray could simply not find any consistency and it was his errors that saw Wawrinka muscle his way to a straight sets win.

The triumph on home soil was Wawrinka's first Davis Cup victory and could be decisive in restoring Switzerland to the World Group.

novanora 09-24-2005 02:22 AM

thanks for the article Steven :hug:

novanora 09-24-2005 02:24 AM

The article from DC official website

http://www.daviscup.com/news/matchreport.asp?id=13402

Wawrinka gives Switzerland impressive 2-0 lead

Stanislas Wawrinka helped Switzerland take a giant step towards a place in the World Group of the Davis Cup by BNP Paribas next year, beating Andrew Murray 63 76 64 to give his team a 2-0 lead over Great Britain in Geneva.

Earlier in the day, Roger Federer had got the Swiss off to a flying start, taking just an hour and 15 minutes to whip past little-known Briton Alan Mackin 60 60 62 in Friday’s opening rubber.

Murray is scheduled to join up with Greg Rusedski against Federer and Yves Allegro in Saturday’s doubles in the hope of avoiding a whitewash. If the British can earn a point from the doubles, Murray has the unenviable task of playing Federer in the first of Sunday’s first reverse singles and, if the tie is still alive, Rusedski will then be brought in to play Wawrinka in what would be the deciding rubber.

Wawrinka’s victory over Murray marked the 20-year-old’s first victory in Davis Cup play yet he put in an assured, confident performance against Murray. The Swiss, who is ranked 60 in the world – 50 places above his 18-year-old opponent – played composed, aggressive tennis to earn his win, coming from 1-4 down in the second set tiebreaker and from 0-2 down in the third set to dispatch the precocious Briton in straight sets.

“I was nervous before the match but once I got on the court I was fine,” said Wawrinka. “I stayed focused and consistent throughout the match and that was the key.”

After Wawrinka deservedly won the first set, capitalizing on a 5-1 lead, Murray battled through to a tiebreaker in the second set and looked odds on to level the match before Wawrinka retrieved two mini-breaks to win it 7-5 in what turned out to be the crux of the match. Murray, who was playing his first singles Davis Cup match, was furious with himself as he stalked back to his chair at two sets down and angrily bounced his racket into the clay, sensing, perhaps, that his chance had gone.

“I didn’t start off great but from 1-5 down I thought I played pretty well and I had some chances in the second and third sets,” said Murray. “I just didn’t play well enough today and he played very well."

Great Britain’s team captain Jeremy Bates must now try to lift his squad’s spirits after a depressing afternoon for the British players and supporters. Great Britain has only come from 0-2 down once before, when it overhauled Germany in April 1930 and has never beaten Switzerland in the competition.

“It’s disappointing to be 2-0 down but the second match was very tight,” said Bates. “Wawrinka played fantastically well on the big points and Andy played some really good tennis. I’ve said all along that to win this tie we’ve got to win the two matches against Wawrinka but that’s amazingly difficult to do when the guy plays as well as that.”

His decision to play Mackin over Rusedski in Friday’s the first singles match of the tie always going to put the 24-year-old Scot in a vulnerable position. He is ranked 262 to Federer’s No.1 and lost his only previous Davis Cup match to Mark Philippoussis of Australia in January 2003. Federer, in contrast, has now won 14 of his last 15 Davis Cup matches, with all 14 victories coming in straight sets.

He hasn’t been beaten in Davis Cup play since Lleyton Hewitt came from two sets down to beat him in the Switzerland versus Australia semi-final in September 2003. Across all competitions, Federer, the reigning Wimbledon and US Open champion, has lost only three times this year. Mackin, who took 54 minutes to win a game, never appeared equipped to force another defeat.

oneandonlyhsn 09-24-2005 05:02 AM

Thanks for the articles :smooch:

Mrs. B 09-24-2005 09:01 AM

:banana: Stan, you're DA man!!!

Nathy 10-25-2005 10:38 AM

About Stan's withdraw in Madrid, he said today in a newspaper that he had tu pull out of Madrid coz a week before, when he was training in Lausanne, he fell on the ground and the next day, when he woke up, his arm and back were blocked... Now he says it is ok at 90%

bokehlicious 11-08-2005 03:13 PM

Just to say some words about an interview this morning for a local radio.

I just summar the tennis part (the interview was about one hour).

Stan explained that he was happy about his season (won about 110 rankings), but a little frustrated with the end of the season... His highlights were of course Gstaad and Davis Cup against Great Britain. He also liked his match against Roger in Rotterdam.

He has no real target for next year, always try to improve his tennis... Entering the top 20 would be a dream for him, but not a target for next year.

He also said that he has no scoop about Roger's taking part of DC, still waiting for Roger and hopping that he'll play.

Nathy 11-09-2005 12:04 PM

Thanks for this JMP :yeah:

Stevens Point 12-19-2005 09:50 AM

A little Davis Cup, a liitle Stan article..

www.theadvertiser.news.com.au

Indoor clay for Cup

14dec05

SWITZERLAND has pulled a stunning first-round Davis Cup tie switch, pandering to novice Stanislas Wawrinka's strengths rather than world No. 1 Roger Federer's.

The Swiss have decided to play the February 10-12 match on indoor clay in Geneva instead of carpet or indoor hardcourt, surfaces Federer has used to dominate all-comers. Wawrinka, 20, is regarded as a rising star on the Swiss horizon after this season reaching 53 in the world and accumulating a string of wins over celebrated opponents.

Revealingly, most of Wawrinka's best performances came on clay with victories over Tomas Berdych, Nicolas Massu and James Blake.

Federer has yet to win the French Open.

If Wawrinka can reproduce his best form, Switzerland will start favourite for the clash with John Fitzgerald's Australians.

novanora 12-21-2005 03:44 AM

Thanks SP for the news! :wavey: It will be good for Stan to play on clay for his country. And this is a good decision, coz Roger can play well on all kinds of courts. Playing on clay definitely add more edge for Stan to beat the Aussies. Good luck to Swiss!:bounce:

Stevens Point 01-31-2006 04:35 PM

His win over Ferrer is the headline news of the ATP site now.. :)

January 31, 2006

Second Seed Ferrer Given Early Exit in Zagreb

Swiss Stanislas Wawrinka proved too much for Spaniard David Ferrer as first round action continued Tuesday at the PBZ Zagreb Indoors. The youngster took down the No. 2 seed 4-6, 6-1, 6-3 as he continued his strong start to the 2006 season.

The 20-year-old, currently No. 49 in the INDESIT ATP Rankings, advanced to the Auckland semifinals prior to the Australian Open, defeating Tomas Zib, Alberto Martin and Florian Mayer before falling to Croat Mario Ancic.

With the win, the Swiss No. 2 evened his career record against Ferrer to 1-1. The Spaniard won their only other meeting in Bucharest two years ago.

Ferrer had made his way into the Top 10 of the INDESIT ATP Rankings for the first time in his career following his fourth round appearance in Melbourne last week. Since last year's Australian Open, he has risen 43 spots on the heels of consistently-strong performances at ATP Masters Series events and a quarterfinal appearance at Roland Garros.

Wawrinka's second-round opponent will be 29-year-old Austrian qualifier Stefan Koubek, who turned in a 7-6(7), 3-6, 6-3 win over Czech Ivo Minar.

The two other qualifiers in first-round action early Tuesday did not fare similarly well. Czech Tomas Cakl fell to fourth-seeded compatriot Radek Stepanek while Israeli Noam Okun was defeated by top-form Italian Andreas Seppi.

Stepanek, the only player in the Top 25 still looking for his first career ATP title, next faces 18-year-old Novak Djokovic.

Recent Adelaide quarterfinalist and Sydney semifinalist Seppi will meet top junior Marin Cilic, a Zagreb native, who earned his first ATP win on Monday.

Stevens Point 02-02-2006 09:13 PM

I have just read in the teletext of one of the Swiss channels that Stan has injured his right shoulder in his vs Koubek match, and withdrew from his doubles competition in Zagreb... I hope his shoulder will be all right before the DC tie...

novanora 02-02-2006 11:51 PM

Thanks Steven :sad: hope it's not serious...

Stevens Point 02-03-2006 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by novanora
Thanks Steven :sad: hope it's not serious...

good news in this bad news is that his injury seems not to be a big one.. Just slightly injured, I think...