MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com (http://www.menstennisforums.com/index.php)
-   Wimbledon (http://www.menstennisforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=318)
-   -   Justin Gimelstob is a JERK (http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=43163)

mad1town 06-24-2005 06:41 PM

Justin Gimelstob is a JERK

I just saw an ESPN interview with Justin Gimelstob after his loss to Hewitt. He sure seems like a nice guy on tv...don't be fooled, he is a total asshole. He has been to our challenger tournament several years and he treats everyone like total crap. He yells at the volunteer ball ladies, kids, anyone involved actually...he even yells at the crowd to be quiet if you can believe that. If a ball lady or kid tosses a ball to him and it is not EXACTLY to him, he won't make any to reach even a few inches to get it.

Don't be fooled by his, "awe shucks" routine....

DanEd 06-24-2005 07:30 PM

Re: Justin Gimelstob is a JERK

Many people say the same as you

Socket 06-24-2005 07:36 PM

My friend and I once had an encounter with him at the US Open, back in the 90s. He was sitting on a bench by the practice courts, and had his bags up on the bench, so he was taking up the entire bench. My friend asked him to move the bags, so we could sit down, and he got very snippy about it. It was really completely uncalled for, all we did was nicely ask him to move his equipment bags, not give up his seat to us. And it wasn't as if those benches are meant for the players to use anyway, they are for the spectators to use, to watch the players practice (which Justin probably should have been doing at the time, anyway).

Fee 06-24-2005 07:59 PM

Justin has been a jerk in the past, a very big jerk. He was such a jerk to me when I first met him, that I hated him for a year for it until he actually apologized to me for his behavior, like a man. But, he has definitely changed in the last two years due to a combination of events including breaking his foot (which took him off the tour for over 6 months) and his relationship with Corina Morariu (which has given him a real perspective on life and what's truly important). Perhaps he's finally growing up a little bit. He's not perfect, he still does fairly self-centered things (most players have to at some point, it's almost a survival tactic on the tour), and he can be very intense when he's on court, but that interview he did in the ESPN studio is the side of him that I've seen, especially his sense of humor.

Anyway, as you were. Just wanted to make the ratio 9-1 instead of 9-0. :D

Socket 06-24-2005 09:09 PM

And I have to say that after seeing him interviewed the past two days, including his post-match interview today on the W. website, he absolutely has matured since my little encounter with him, which must have been some 8 or so years ago. He did display immaturity during our "bench encounter," but I doubt he would today, based on what I'm seeing and reading.

mad1town 06-24-2005 09:36 PM

I last saw the "Justin act" in person in early 2004. Let's just say I wouldn't want my children anywhere near the guy to witness his spoiled brat behavior.

He probably has matured since then but I highly doubt that he is the nice guy he pretended to be on TV today. After all that faking/acting today, he is probably ready to explode on the next person that he comes in contact with that doesn't kiss his ass...look out Londoners!

Fee 06-25-2005 12:04 AM

Really? Justin wasn't playing in 2004. He had foot surgery in November of 2003 and didn't get back on court until June of 2004, just before Wimbledon. The only time he went to tournaments was when he had work to do for the Tennis Channel.

bad gambler 06-25-2005 01:29 AM

What was he doing against Hewitt? Diving around all the time :lol:

His singles tennis seems to have improved though

mad1town 06-25-2005 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fee
Really? Justin wasn't playing in 2004. He had foot surgery in November of 2003 and didn't get back on court until June of 2004, just before Wimbledon. The only time he went to tournaments was when he had work to do for the Tennis Channel.

Actually, you are right...it was Jan, 2003.