MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com (http://www.menstennisforums.com/index.php)
-   General Messages (http://www.menstennisforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Will Murray ever win a clay title? (http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=400969)

NinaNina19 03-08-2008 04:44 PM

Andy Murray on clay. Will he ever win a clay title?

With all his moon balling and great tactician tennis, wouldn't his game translate well on clay? I don't understand why his results aren't so good on clay. I know he was injuried last year and didn't have a chance to play during the clay court season, but still...

TankingTheSet 03-08-2008 04:50 PM

Re: Why is Murray not good on clay?

I think he probably can play a bit on clay, just never was in good shape coming into the clay season. Last year he lead Volandri 5-1 before his infamous wrist injury. I believe he trained a lot on clay in Spain as a junior.

Clay Death 03-08-2008 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NinaNina19 (Post 6693685)
With all his moon balling and great tactician tennis, wouldn't his game translate well on clay? I don't understand why his results aren't so good on clay. I know he was injuried last year and didn't have a chance to play during the clay court season, but still...

probably for the same reason blake and roddick are not all that efective on clay. their primary weapons are neutralized by dirt. look at what igor andreev did to roddick at roland garros last year. even chela took roddick apart in rome last year.

murray won better than 90% of the points on his first serve against Fedrer and that was the the difference in that match. murray relies heavily on his big serve. if it is working and he is on hard courts, he is likely causing all kinds of problems for his oppoenents. same with roddick. he is defenseless without his serve which is negated byt dirt.

blake is just a high risk player who cannot vary or adjust his game for different surfaces.

elessar 03-08-2008 04:52 PM

He trained on clay during his teens so he must feel at least coomfortable on the surface. I don't get on what you're basing this assumption , as you said he was injured the entire clay season lasr year. The only set he played he was destroying Volandri :shrug: I'll reserve judgement until I see how he plays in the MS this year

TankingTheSet 03-08-2008 04:53 PM

Clay Death, that doesn't make sense, Murray was getting good results on hard courts and grass even when his serve was still weak a few years ago.

NinaNina19 03-08-2008 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elessar (Post 6693718)
He trained on clay during his teens so he must feel at least coomfortable on the surface. I don't get on what you're basing this assumption , as you said he was injured the entire clay season lasr year. The only set he played he was destroying Volandri :shrug: I'll reserve judgement until I see how he plays in the MS this year

Well people always say he's bad on clay:shrug:. I said that he would probably make at least 3rd or 4th round at Roland Garros and people started laughing at me.

ZackBusner 03-08-2008 04:58 PM

Simple answer: He's from Britian :p

Clay Death 03-08-2008 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TankingTheSet (Post 6693726)
Clay Death, that doesn't make sense, Murray was getting good results on hard courts and grass even when his serve was still weak a few years ago.

perhaps he was compensating by returning better and being able to break. murray does have an outstanding return game. i dont know the exact nature of some of those matches.

murray does have a fairly well-rounded game. one other thing i neglected to mention is that clay also requires superb fitness. Murray has been lacking sufficient fitness until recently. he has finally decided that he is going to take his fitness to the next level.

clay death always makes sense.

Mateya 03-08-2008 05:04 PM

I'm asking myself this question for a long time now. We will get the answer this clay season I hope. Too bad he got wrist injury last year...

He should be having great results with his game; QF,SF of Monte Carlo, Rome etc. sure is achievable. I dont see a reason why?

VAMOS Muzza :rocker2:

scarecrows 03-08-2008 05:13 PM

he's not bad on clay, i remember he made SF at RG in juniors. Last year which was supposed to be his breakthrough year he skipped all clay season
He surely wont be fighting for the RG title, but hey if Henman made the semis why not Murray

Apemant 03-08-2008 05:24 PM

I'm not sure he's not good on clay. Last season he only played 2 matches due to various injuries. 2 years ago he was too young and inexperienced. Let's see what he does this season.

Rogiman 03-08-2008 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clay Death (Post 6693714)
murray relies heavily on his big serve. if it is working and he is on hard courts, he is likely causing all kinds of problems for his oppoenents. same with roddick. he is defenseless without his serve which is negated byt dirt.

:haha:

:retard:

Duncan 03-08-2008 06:12 PM

There is nothing to suggest he isn't good on clay. He was battering Volandri last year before he got injured.

This season will be much different :)

Andi-M 03-09-2008 12:18 AM

Muzza likes the clay he has stated that on more than one occassion. He has done alot of training on the dirt in Barcelona when he was in his teens.

He dosent really have results on clay to judge him on as yet so we'll see although I think he'll have a brilliant claycourt season.

pricdews 03-09-2008 01:45 AM

Doesn't Murray have his own subforum?